+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Surrender Certificate Application Returned due to not having Canadian passport

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Hi,
I have a question regarding the surrender certificate application. I applied for the surrender certificate a week ago through postal application and today I saw the status on BLS tracking that my application is returned due to not including Canadian passport. I havent applied for my Canadian passport yet so I I included a self declaration as per the BLS/CGI guideline stating that stating that I haven’t applied for Canadian passport yet so I am not able to include it in the application.

I sent my application on Feb 16 and was delivered on Feb 17. Looks like CGI changed the rule that Canadian passport is mandatory for surrender certificate application on Feb 17 but looks like it was not communicated or announced to the public. As of now their website still says the same to add a self declaration. Do I have any chance of appealing this or I am out of the $200 and the time I spent on this? This is really frustrating that a official government body is acting so careless. Any input appreciated.Thanks.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi,
I have a question regarding the surrender certificate application. I applied for the surrender certificate a week ago through postal application and today I saw the status on BLS tracking that my application is returned due to not including Canadian passport. I havent applied for my Canadian passport yet so I I included a self declaration as per the BLS/CGI guideline stating that stating that I haven’t applied for Canadian passport yet so I am not able to include it in the application.

I sent my application on Feb 16 and was delivered on Feb 17. Looks like CGI changed the rule that Canadian passport is mandatory for surrender certificate application on Feb 17 but looks like it was not communicated or announced to the public. As of now their website still says the same to add a self declaration. Do I have any chance of appealing this or I am out of the $200 and the time I spent on this? This is really frustrating that a official government body is acting so careless. Any input appreciated.Thanks.
Sorry to hear this. BLS / CGI are difficult to work with. Unfortunately you don't have too many options. You can appeal this, but unlikely to get a favourable response. BLS is making big money on courier charges and rejection of photographs - I am certain the margins / commissions are huge and this rot goes all the way to the MEA.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
@Sammy3 some options for you....

there are web-forms available. but like many others feel/experienced, i too feel that it may not generate any action.

if you have time, you could check the event calendar of CGI so as to have unsolicited face to face time with some CGI official.

CGI also holds an open-house once a week (check their website for the schedule).

BLS also entertains Q&As in their afternoon shift.

but before all this, have you called BLS and got any answer from them? about how on earth they changed the rule and whats your fault as you sent your application as per the rules valid at that time?

Reactions: Sammy3

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
@Sammy3 some options for you....

there are web-forms available. but like many others feel/experienced, i too feel that it may not generate any action.

if you have time, you could check the event calendar of CGI so as to have unsolicited face to face time with some CGI official.

CGI also holds an open-house once a week (check their website for the schedule).

BLS also entertains Q&As in their afternoon shift.

but before all this, have you called BLS and got any answer from them? about how on earth they changed the rule and whats your fault as you sent your application as per the rules valid at that time?
So just to give an update, I did receive the documents back in mail few days ago and it includes the bank draft I submitted for the application fee. So at least they had some decency to not take the fee. Its just courier fees and time lost at this stage so I feel like there wont be any other option for me other than just reapplying after getting my Canadian passport. Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Sorry to hear this. BLS / CGI are difficult to work with. Unfortunately you don't have too many options. You can appeal this, but unlikely to get a favourable response. BLS is making big money on courier charges and rejection of photographs - I am certain the margins / commissions are huge and this rot goes all the way to the MEA.
Yeah it sucks how they are doing all this so unprofessionally. I am very well aware of their aggressive courier service, but unfortunately we dont have another choice when it comes to these things. There should be some changes made to this monopoly for sure.