+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Surrender with Legally changed name - BLS Surrey

vincyluthra

Aug 1, 2017
In our Indian Passports, the last name was missing, when we migrated to Canada, we got our legal name changed, got the name change certificate, and updated all Canadian Govt. IDs.

Now since we need to surrender our Indian Citizenship / Passport by visiting BLS, I wonder do we need to fill in the details as per our Indian Passport (which has our old name) or Canadian Passport (which has a new name), as the names are different?

I personally think, since they will be issuing a surrender certificate, I should fill in the details as per the new Canadian passport so as the name on the surrender certificate is correct. We'll attach a name change certificate to support our claim. But I am not sure.

In case somebody has been through the same scenario, please advise. Thanks!

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
In our Indian Passports, the last name was missing, when we migrated to Canada, we got our legal name changed, got the name change certificate, and updated all Canadian Govt. IDs.

Now since we need to surrender our Indian Citizenship / Passport by visiting BLS, I wonder do we need to fill in the details as per our Indian Passport (which has our old name) or Canadian Passport (which has a new name), as the names are different?

I personally think, since they will be issuing a surrender certificate, I should fill in the details as per the new Canadian passport so as the name on the surrender certificate is correct. We'll attach a name change certificate to support our claim. But I am not sure.

SUMMIT APPLICATION WITH CANADIAN LEGAL NAME CERTIFICATE

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015

Hi, did you submit your application with the new name? I am in the same situation like yours, would like to know how it went for you. Thanks

Yami007

Jan 21, 2019

Yami007

Jan 21, 2019
Hey, I am in the current situation.Can you pease guide what name shall I put in the application,Also any supporting document needed. Thanks Appreciate it !

Yami007

Jan 21, 2019
Hey Sammy, Are you done with your passport surrender thing. I am too in the name situation.Can you pease guide what name shall I put in the application,Also any supporting document needed. Thanks Appreciate it !