+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Surrender Question

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi Folks,
1)Is it mandatory to surrender Indian passport after getting Canadian passport ?
2)Is it better to take Indian VISA or OCI, we don't have any plans to stay in India for more than six months .
TIA.

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Hi Folks,
1)Is it mandatory to surrender Indian passport after getting Canadian passport ?
2)Is it better to take Indian VISA or OCI, we don't have any plans to stay in India for more than six months .
TIA.
Yes it is mandatory to surrender Indian pp.
It depends on your requirement, if you are sure you wont need to stay for more than 6 months eVisa or regular Visa should suffice, but these visa has restrictions placed on them. OCI gives parity on most privileges to that of a Indian Citizen except voting and procuring agricultural properties, not an extensive list.
eVisa will attract a separate lines in 28 Indian airports and few sea ports, while OCI will come under the regular immigration lines.

Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Yes it is mandatory to surrender Indian pp.
It depends on your requirement, if you are sure you wont need to stay for more than 6 months eVisa or regular Visa should suffice, but these visa has restrictions placed on them. OCI gives parity on most privileges to that of a Indian Citizen except voting and procuring agricultural properties, not an extensive list.
eVisa will attract a separate lines in 28 Indian airports and few sea ports, while OCI will come under the regular immigration lines.
Thanks for the reply .
Its $250 per passport for surrendering :(

stimitak

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
You just got lucky on that day. The immigration officer/his boss just let you go. But do not suggest this to anyone. They could have easily asked you to go back and get a Canadian visa or clearance from canadian embassy in India, which happened for few others.
sure, individuals can make that choice. The details are clearly mentioned and I trust what was posted on govt site, took the printout.Many before me have done this, so it works just fine.

stimitak

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
No no Its not that simple, Any one travelling with your family do not try this. In any country where its required to clear immigration @ entry and exit, use the same valid travel docs & passport.
True that you need to use the same passport to enter and exit. But it's also a fact that immigration in India has been simplified...not required to fill up any landing forms, etc and no Q&A. Officers are asked to trust the document they see in front of them and in their system. I just wanted to help ease the anxiety for people visiting India after a long time that some changes done to tackle arrogant Immigration officers have worked because they have to follow the process.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
I got my Canadian Passport before a month and I am going to take eVisa from my Canadian Passport. But I have not surrendered Indian Passport yet as I dont have time to get the Surrendered certificate (as it takes 2-3 weeks). So if I show in India my Canadian passport and eVisa on my Canadian passport and keep Indian passport in my pocket then would it be fine ? Or would I face some issue ?

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
I got my Canadian Passport before a month and I am going to take eVisa from my Canadian Passport. But I have not surrendered Indian Passport yet as I dont have time to get the Surrendered certificate (as it takes 2-3 weeks). So if I show in India my Canadian passport and eVisa on my Canadian passport and keep Indian passport in my pocket then would it be fine ? Or would I face some issue ?
Did you get your e visa? Due to some reason e visa is giving error to me. This maybe due to the reason that I need a surrender certificate on my Indian passport.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Got Medical Instructions on 08-Jul after mail to CPP
Med's Done....
10-Jul-2014 (Uploaded 15-Jul-2014)
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
Did you get your e visa? Due to some reason e visa is giving error to me. This maybe due to the reason that I need a surrender certificate on my Indian passport.
I got my evisa 1 week after Canadian citizenship , its very crappy website.Try to use Internet explorer as there were issues with uploading photos and passport pdf. But once its done ,you get evisa in less than 24 hours.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
I got my evisa 1 week after Canadian citizenship , its very crappy website.Try to use Internet explorer as there were issues with uploading photos and passport pdf. But once its done ,you get evisa in less than 24 hours.
Thanks for the response - there is a bug in the site if you give comma anywhere it crashes. Yes got it for 1 month as applied.