Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
Hi

1. Then without a Canadian passport, how do you return to Canada? This means you would have to apply overseas, and that could take a while.
Is Canadian Citizenship certificate not proof? Also, you have an Indian Passport with you.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Yes, you have 3 months time to surrender it, whether you travel or not. But questions may arise when you travel to India where you will have to prove the point that you will surrender Indian passport within 3 months of acquiring another countries citizenship. Thats the only downside of it.
If I have canadian passport and eVisa, how will they know I still have Indian passport. And if they know when can they create a problem ? I can go to India and surrender the passport, then it might be ok right ?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
If I have canadian passport and eVisa, how will they know I still have Indian passport. And if they know when can they create a problem ? I can go to India and surrender the passport, then it might be ok right ?
Well, for starters, your Canadian passport will list your place of birth which is India. Secondly, your name will already be in the database.
No one can predict “when” or how they can create an issue. If you don’t have time to renounce your passport before you leave for India, be forthright and tell the immigration officer at India you plan to renounce it there. No point in hiding and being stressed.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Well, for starters, your Canadian passport will list your place of birth which is India. Secondly, your name will already be in the database.
No one can predict “when” or how they can create an issue. If you don’t have time to renounce your passport before you leave for India, be forthright and tell the immigration officer at India you plan to renounce it there. No point in hiding and being stressed.
So you saying when I reach India, at immigration, I should tell them about the situation there ?
Plus, any idea of me submitting the passport in India itself. That would be cheap too.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
So you saying when I reach India, at immigration, I should tell them about the situation there ?
Plus, any idea of me submitting the passport in India itself. That would be cheap too.
Check if the city you’re flying into in India allows you renounce the citizenship there. If you have time between when you get the Canadian passport and when you depart Canada, your e-visa will suffice. I think the processing time is less than 48 hours for an expedited request.

rajbeer219

Jun 14, 2012
My In-laws did it. They travelled to India with an Indian passport while they were having a Canadian passport. After 6months they went to surrender their Indian passport, they were fined1100$ each for travelling on Indian passport after getting Canadian Citizenship certificate.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
CGI toronto; There is a grace period which allows you to travel on an Indian passport within 3 months of obtaining Canada citizenship. But that is only for people who have urgency to travel and could not obtain the Canada passport in time. IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRAVEL WITH BOTH THE PASSPORTS VALID.

They can travel to India on the Indian passport before getting a Canadian passport, surrender it in India , obtain Canada passport at the Canadian embassy and return to Canada.

There could be hassles with getting a first Canadian passport overseas ( guarantor and references???)

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
CGI toronto; There is a grace period which allows you to travel on an Indian passport within 3 months of obtaining Canada citizenship. But that is only for people who have urgency to travel and could not obtain the Canada passport in time. IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRAVEL WITH BOTH THE PASSPORTS VALID.

They can travel to India on the Indian passport before getting a Canadian passport, surrender it in India , obtain Canada passport at the Canadian embassy and return to Canada.

There could be hassles with getting a first Canadian passport overseas ( guarantor and references???)

I was thinking to travel on Canadian Passport and reach India and surrender the Indian passport there ? Would I face some issues ?

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
My In-laws did it. They travelled to India with an Indian passport while they were having a Canadian passport. After 6months they went to surrender their Indian passport, they were fined1100$ each for travelling on Indian passport after getting Canadian Citizenship certificate.
They traveled with Indian or Canadian passport ? Can I travel with Canadian passport and surrender Indian passport in India ?

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Sahil ji go to India on e visa, In India you can surrender your Indian Passport for Rs 5000 only this will be a better option.
Has anyone did this ? I want to travel on Canadian passport and surrender Indian passport in India, will this be fine ?

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Has anyone did this ? I want to travel on Canadian passport and surrender Indian passport in India, will this be fine ?
Yes, you can do this . Travel on evisa on your canadian passport. surrender your Indian passport in India.

ABS_1382

May 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
All docs sent with the file...
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
Med's Done....
08-03-2016 (Upfront - Med and RPRF)
Passport Req..
14-04-2016, Passport Sent: 18-04-2016, Received Back: 04-05-2016
o Can i get eVisa without surrendering Indian passport ?
Hello Sahil,

So what did you end up doing? I am getting my Candian passport today and I plan to apply for eVisa and worry about the surrender process while I am I am in India....Based on my discussion with different people, I think this should be OK as I am not using Indian Passport for travel...I am only using my canadian passport with valid Indian Visa....

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Hello Sahil,

So what did you end up doing? I am getting my Candian passport today and I plan to apply for eVisa and worry about the surrender process while I am I am in India....Based on my discussion with different people, I think this should be OK as I am not using Indian Passport for travel...I am only using my canadian passport with valid Indian Visa....
I have not travelled yet, would be travelling in 2 weeks.
I think this should be ok. Did you asked anyone ?

rock_r4

Star Member
May 6, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO transfered to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Application recieved on 29-09-2014
Nomination.....
PER recieved on 06-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
26-02-2015 to warsaw
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
08-05-2015.. medicals uploaded on 14-05-2015
Interview........
TLU updated on 10-06-2015, DM 20-06-2015
Passport Req..
6/7/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Got Passport back on 22/7/2015
LANDED..........
By Mid of August
Where should we pay fees for surrender certificate? I tried get payment link and entered my passport number but it says record not found