+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport Surrender or Not if travelling

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Guys,
Hoping someone would be able to help me. I took my oath yesterday and will be applying for the Canadian Passport on Monday (Dec 2) from Kitchener, ON. Now, I want to travel from Jan 6 - Feb 6 to India.

So, I would like to take eVisa for India.
1. But Can i apply for eVisa for India without Surrendering Indian Passport ? Or should I not surrender Indian passport and will I be fine ?
2. Can I go to BLS and surrender my Indian passport without getting my Canadian Passport (I have certificate for Canadian Citizenship)
3. If I go to BLS and surrender my Indian Passport, would I need to wait for the certificate from BLS to apply for eVisa for India ? And If yes, how much time it takes to get that certificate after surrendering Indian Passport ?

Last edited:

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Guys,
Hoping someone would be able to help me. I took my oath yesterday and will be applying for the Canadian Passport on Monday (Dec 2) from Kitchener, ON. Now, I want to travel from Jan 6 - Feb 6 to India.

So, I would like to take eVisa for India.
1. But Can i apply for eVisa for India without Surrendering Indian Passport ? Or should I not surrender Indian passport and will I be fine ?
2. Can I go to BLS and surrender my Indian passport without getting my Canadian Passport (I have certificate for Canadian Citizenship)
3. If I go to BLS and surrender my Indian Passport, would I need to wait for the certificate from BLS to apply for eVisa for India ? And If yes, how much time it takes to get that certificate after surrendering Indian Passport ?
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
You will get Indian passport cancelled with surrender certificate in 2 weeks. Go ahead since you wish to travel by Jan 6. Do it as early as possible .

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
Travel with Indian Passport. Why pay for visa ?

After you return you can apply for Canadian Passport.

Dec 9, 2009
Sahil ji go to India on e visa, In India you can surrender your Indian Passport for Rs 5000 only this will be a better option.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Sahil ji go to India on e visa, In India you can surrender your Indian Passport for Rs 5000 only this will be a better option.
Can I go to India without surrendering Indian Passport ? I will have Indian passport and Canadian passport both.
But the main thing is Can I get eVisa without surrendering Indian Passport ?

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
Can I go to India without surrendering Indian Passport ? I will have Indian passport and Canadian passport both.
But the main thing is Can I get eVisa without surrendering Indian Passport ?
Highly recommend to travel with Canadian passport only both entering and leaving India port of entry, your Indian passport becomes invalid as soon as you acquire another country's citizenship. The Indian High commission [cgi] has a clear notification on this matter. You may chose to apply for e-visa but do not use Indian passport for entry or exit. Some may have told success stories but its against the law. You will face exemplary penalties and delays at any point of time. You may chose to surrender Indian passport later.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Highly recommend to travel with Canadian passport only both entering and leaving India port of entry, your Indian passport becomes invalid as soon as you acquire another country's citizenship. The Indian High commission [cgi] has a clear notification on this matter. You may chose to apply for e-visa but do not use Indian passport for entry or exit. Some may have told success stories but its against the law. You will face exemplary penalties and delays at any point of time. You may chose to surrender Indian passport later.
So Can i get eVisa without surrendering Indian passport ?

arunmanian

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
02-04-2014
So Can i get eVisa without surrendering Indian passport ?
Yes, you have 3 months time to surrender it, whether you travel or not. But questions may arise when you travel to India where you will have to prove the point that you will surrender Indian passport within 3 months of acquiring another countries citizenship. Thats the only downside of it.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Yes, you have 3 months time to surrender it, whether you travel or not. But questions may arise when you travel to India where you will have to prove the point that you will surrender Indian passport within 3 months of acquiring another countries citizenship. Thats the only downside of it.
Can I surrender it when I go to India ?

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
Once you become a citizen you can only enter Canada using a Canadian passport.
When you become Canadian Citizen after Oath , but after that if you have not applied for Canadian Passport , so we travel with Indian passport ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

When you become Canadian Citizen after Oath , but after that if you have not applied for Canadian Passport , so we travel with Indian passport ?
1. Then without a Canadian passport, how do you return to Canada? Means you would have to apply overseas, and that could take a while.

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Can I surrender the Indian passport before I get the Canadian Passport ? I submitted my request for Canadian Passport today.
You just visit the nearest BLS center .
I gave my opinion that you have enough time to surrender the Indian passport as its cancelled here in Toronto itself and surrender certificate issued. Max in 2 weeks you will receive it.
You very well know how things work in India. All the Kaun /Kahan /Kidhar etc bullshit you will have to encounter dealing with those cheap bribe takers.

Dec 9, 2009
Go to India on eVisa then in India go to nearest Passport Office and surrender your Indian Passport and the fee is only Rs 5000.