Indian Passport Renew Question. Please Help

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
1 > At the time of passport renewal, Is it mandatory to add my spouse name in passport OR Can I just say Marital Status "single" in the renewal application and go ahead?

2> If passport is updated for 1 person (has the spouse name inside the passport), and other person's passport does not have spouse name added. Is it going to affect current PR application in process?

Please help.

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
It is better to keep it consistent. If one does not have it , it is better not to have the changes done on the other.

You can always add the names on each other's in the future(on your future trips to your home country). I've heard its a pain in the a** especially if you want to get it done from Canada for Indian Passports.

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
kamatmahesh said:
It is better to keep it consistent. If one does not have it , it is better not to have the changes done on the other.

You can always add the names on each other's in the future(on your future trips to your home country). I've heard its a pain in the a** especially if you want to get it done from Canada for Indian Passports.
Thanks for your reply my friend.

If I say I am still single, won't it be considered as passing wrong data?

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
kamatmahesh said:
What was your status when you made the application for PR ?
I was single when I applied first.

I got married after receiving my AOR. I have added my spouse as dependent. Now that I am renewing my passport, not sure what to do. I would like to avoid adding spouse name if I can. One of my friends experience I learned that it takes longer to change name (need to do affidavits etc) and its a painful process.

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
cec2014kum said:
I was single when I applied first.

I got married after receiving my AOR. I have added my spouse as dependent. Now that I am renewing my passport, not sure what to do. I would like to avoid adding spouse name if I can. One of my friends experience I learned that it takes longer to change name (need to do affidavits etc) and its a painful process.
Looks like you are talking about Indian Passports ;-). You are right about getting affidavits done, but you are confusing two things here. CIC does not care whether your spouse's name is added on your passport or not. They are two different jurisdictions with two different rules. CIC will issue you and your wife a COPR once they deem you both fit based on the information they have. I would renew the passports later on when I have done the landing formalities in my leisure time if I were you. Matter of fact - I am in the same situation as you pal !

If you are living in Canada and worried that you will EVER need your name on your spouse's and the other way round. NOT REQUIRED. Marriage Certificate is sufficient.

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
Thank you for the information. This make sense. I agree CIC does not care if we have our spouse name added in passport.

My confusion was regarding Indian consulate and the passport renewal form. It ask us to fill in Marital Status. Is it ok if I say marital status single for now (in passport renewal application) and do it later on after getting PR? Does anyone here have been gone through the situation like this before?

maniayyappan

Mar 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-July-2014
AOR Received.
02-October-2014
Med's Request
02-April-2015
Med's Done....
14-April-2015 for self and 12-July-2015 for wife due to pregnancy
Passport Req..
14-July-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-July-2015
LANDED..........
12-August-2015, PR Cards Received on 01 Oct 2015
If you are applying at Toronto, please read below.

To add your spouse name you need your marriage certificate attested from Ministry of External Affairs in India.
Instead I was advised in Brampton center, to mark as married in application but write a letter that you neednot include your spouse name this time on your passport as you donot have an attested marriage certificate yet. You can do that later

The above process could be different if you are applying at another location

Also i landed as PR without spouse names on our passports.

apardhamija

Oct 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC Req: 13-01-2016 Sent:10-02-2016 , SchedA Req & Sent : 11-02-2016
AOR Received.
20-10-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
30-04-2016
maniayyappan said:
If you are applying at Toronto, please read below.

To add your spouse name you need your marriage certificate attested from Ministry of External Affairs in India.
Instead I was advised in Brampton center, to mark as married in application but write a letter that you neednot include your spouse name this time on your passport as you donot have an attested marriage certificate yet. You can do that later

The above process could be different if you are applying at another location

Also i landed as PR without spouse names on our passports.
I agree, dont say your status is single, as its false information because, legally you are married, the BLS India needs more info to add name of the spouse so dont do that if you dont have that yet, but just mention that you dont want to add spouse's name right now. In my case, after 1 year of being married, when I went back to india, I get my marriage certificate attested by Misnistry of External Affairs , Delhi, Many agencies do it, you will find some online. Then once you are back in canada, get a color photocopy and get it Notary attested by a notary in canada, for the affidavit I will upload the format here on this forum . Print it and get that notarized as well. Then go to BLS india and give the attested and notarized copy of marriage certificate. DO NOT GIVE ORIGINAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. I had a fight with the agent in BLS Toronto. He was insisting to give original, the website says , notarized copy .
DO this all after you get your PR, for now , just mention your status as Married and renew ur passport .

apardhamija

Oct 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC Req: 13-01-2016 Sent:10-02-2016 , SchedA Req & Sent : 11-02-2016
AOR Received.
20-10-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
30-04-2016
JOINT SWORN AFFIDAVIT FOR MARRIAGE

We,
1. _______________________________ (name of the husband) born on ________ (dd/mm/yyyy) S/o: _____________________. Holder of Passport Number: ________

2. ______________________ (name of the wife) born on __________(dd/mm/yyyy) D/o: ___________________ Holder of Passport Number: ____________

Presently residing at the following address:
*Your current address in Canada*

Solemnly declare and affirm the following:

3. That we are married under Hindu Marriage Act since *Date of Marriage*. (dd/mm/yyyy)
4. That the marriage was registered on dd/mm/yyyy and a marriage certificate was
issued by the Registrar of Marriages at ***Name of the place marriage cert issued.
5. That our joint photograph is affixed below.

Signature of Deponents

1………………………………..

2………………………………..

Place : __________________
Date : ___________________

Txt me if you need a copy in Word Format. The notary people asked for $65 to type and print this. I did it myself and I got the passport renewed and spouse added.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
You guys are confusing and providing information that is not necessary
The only proof you need to show that your married is your civil wedding document that you get from indian government
For passport, CIC does not care if its says Married or NO.
My wife has married and my name on her passport
and on my passport = Spouse section is blank.
I renewed my passport in Toronto as well and they didnt care about it nor does Canadian Govt care

cec2014kum

Star Member
Apr 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
AUG 2016
Thanks for all the information guys. Really appreciate it.

tap88

Star Member
May 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2014
Nomination.....
15-06-2014
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
04-04-2015
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
ANy updates whoever applied for passport renew at Brampton location in 2016? I applied on 19th February for passport renewal and they haven't updated online status yet. They told it will take 48 to 72 hours... it's been more than a week. no update yet.

nsatyagl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
canada
Is there any one tell
Me. My wife is applying for passport renewal in toronto. We married in 2018 but at that time i dis inform immigration that i got married after few months of my marriage i got pr. Canada immigration doesnot even know that i am married . After my marriage in india we registered over there not in canada. Right while she is applying for renewal. What should we say SINGLE or married? It will be a problem if i apply citizenship.