+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport, Canada Immigration Visa and PR Card related questions

Adbhutha

Mar 19, 2012
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen, My PR is already approved and my passport already contains Canada Visa counterfoil, the expiry date on my visa is the expiry date of passport, i.e., March 2016. So I just need to enter Canada before that time. I am planning to travel to Canada in January 2016, since I don't have a job offer, I would be returning the very next day, but I have couple of questions. Kindly clarify.

1. 6 months Passport expiry: Usually Airlines will have the restriction like the Passport has to be valid for 6 months, so want to know if it will create an issue for me ? Though I have heard that for Canada the passport has to be valid till the intended stay period, I am not 100% sure.
2. Passport renewal invalidates the entry Visa: I initially thought of getting my passport renewed, but when I checked with couple of people, I was told that it would invalidate my visa and then I will have to submit an application to get my Visa counterfoil transferred to the new Passport, so I dropped the plan. Is that really true ?
3. British Airways & Transit Visa: Will get my PR Travel Document after I enter my immigration in Canada ? Because if I have to return via British Airways, i.e., via London (I have round trip tickets with BA), then I have to at least have Canada PR [I heard a valid 2 way ticket for US or Canada is good, but didn't find an official statement, so not sure], otherwise I need to apply for Transit Visa(Is that really true ?). I thought if they provide me PR Travel Document, I can show it to the UK Immigration officials and prevent one more burden of applying for Transit visa. Anyway I am not planning to stay @ London, nor planning to go out over there.
4. PR Card: Once I reach the Immigration, do I need to apply for PR Card ? or I guess I just need to provide a Canadian address and they will automatically courier it. Please confirm. I am planning to ask my friend to courier it to India once he receives it.
5. Never received Child Benefits: My child was born in Canada, we were there for 6 months after it was born, but since we were not Permanent Residents, we didn't get any Child Benefits till now, also I was told that if we leave Canada we will not get the Child benefits even if we are Permanent Residents. Is that really true ?
6. Child Benefits & SIN Card: My wife never worked over there, so she doesn't have SIN card and mine anyway is already expired, so without proper SIN card can we really expect Child benefits ? Since we will have atleast 12hrs time gap, if its something that can be done, then I will go to Service Canada and apply for Canada. Can I really do that without any employment ?
7. Passport Renewal, after getting PR Card: Once I come back to India, I will apply for Passport renewal, but then do I need to update or do I need to do some PR related process ? In other words, will it impact the PR or PR Card in anyway ?
8. Misc: As I said earlier I will have at least 12 hrs gap before returning, so want to know if I need to make sure any other process related task is completed.

I by mistake posted the same content to CEC category, I tried to delete it, but couldn't.

Thank you,
Shashank.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
My Indian passport will expire in October 2018 , I'm a Canadian PR (applied for Canadian Citizenship) but currently Indian Citizen. If I want to travel to India for any emergency and come back to Canada during this time (May-Oct 2018), Is my passport still valid for to and fro travel or the six months rule apply to India & Canada as well like other countries ? Kindly advice.