+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian guy marrying to Iranian girl with canadian PR

mani74us

Feb 24, 2013
Hello all,

First let me brief the subject. I am an Indian citizen is going to marry Iranian girlfriend, who is holding a canadian PR. Recently, I went to her home in Tehran, Iran to meet her family members and get their approval and they are okay with our marriage, while she came for holidays from Montreal, Quebec. What I would like to know is whether she can sponsor me after marriage? if so what are the procedures? next is what are the documents we need to keep ourselves ready to be submitted to officials? While I was working in malaysia, I applied for visit visa to meet her there in Montreal and I got it. Due to my project completion, I was unable to make my trip to Canada and we end up meeting each other in Tehran. We have planned that we will be getting married as per her culture and as per my culture. So there will be two marriage function I suppose. As currently I have job outside Canada which I need to continue for further period. We wish to live together after marriage and its been long time we both waiting for each other to be together.. Kindly advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Read the first post in the following thread for a very good overview of the process:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Since your future wife is a PR (rather than a citizen), she must be living in Canada when she applies to sponsor you and she must continue living in Canada while your application is being processed and until you receive your PR visa. Occasional short (2-3 week) trips outside of Canada are OK. If she leaves for longer than that then the application may be refused due to non-residency.

mani74us

Feb 24, 2013
Thank you for your responds.

My future wife don't have permanent good job over there, eventhough she is an Mech.Engg. Is it possible to sponsor me? Also, I have good overseas job, which I earn good decent salary plus accommodation and other perks. I would like to ask her stay with me for couple of weeks together and vice versa...

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
mani74us said:

My future wife don't have permanent good job over there, eventhough she is an Mech.Engg. Is it possible to sponsor me? Also, I have good overseas job, which I earn good decent salary plus accommodation and other perks. I would like to ask her stay with me for couple of weeks together and vice versa...
There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse other than your wife must not be on social assistance while sponsoring you. If she has no income at all, she will have to explain how she can support you for the first three years of your PR.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mani74us said:

It's doubtful you will get a visitor's visa for Canada, but you may try. You must declare you have a wife in Canada if you apply. That will make your chances less.

Realistically, you're going to be apart for most of the process. It's tough, but she must live in Canada to sponsor you. You will not likely be allowed into Canada until after you get the PR visa.

You should search the forum (box at top right hand of the screen) for "TRV refusals."

Don't worry as much about the job. As long as she has income, it's okay. You can also tell the VO about your education and what jobs you can work when you apply. (They ask about your intended occupation.) Keep in mind, if you're comparing the salary of many Middle Eastern countries with Canada, you will make a lot less money in Canada.

This is entirely my personal opinion - not meant to insult you - only based on my experiences with this forum - but your backgrounds are going to be the biggest hurdle. Is she Muslim? Are you? If you aren't the same religion, the biggest challenge may be explaining to the VO about this. (You don't have to answer those questions - they are for you to think about and so you know what is ahead of you.)

mani74us

Feb 24, 2013
amikety said:
It's doubtful you will get a visitor's visa for Canada, but you may try. You must declare you have a wife in Canada if you apply. That will make your chances less.

Realistically, you're going to be apart for most of the process. It's tough, but she must live in Canada to sponsor you. You will not likely be allowed into Canada until after you get the PR visa.

You should search the forum (box at top right hand of the screen) for "TRV refusals."

Don't worry as much about the job. As long as she has income, it's okay. You can also tell the VO about your education and what jobs you can work when you apply. (They ask about your intended occupation.) Keep in mind, if you're comparing the salary of many Middle Eastern countries with Canada, you will make a lot less money in Canada.

This is entirely my personal opinion - not meant to insult you - only based on my experiences with this forum - but your backgrounds are going to be the biggest hurdle. Is she Muslim? Are you? If you aren't the same religion, the biggest challenge may be explaining to the VO about this. (You don't have to answer those questions - they are for you to think about and so you know what is ahead of you.)
Thank you once again for giving me valuable suggestions. Being Engg herself, she was unable to get a job of her field and she is working in a grocery shop :(. To my knowledge and belief she is not living with any social assistance. By the by I am an accountant (Semi-qualified) by profession. Yes you are correct, about making money, it will be very less compared to other middle eastern countries, which is also one of my concern (ultimate truth is money is required to lead a good life, whether its Canada or any other part of the world).

Please don't feel insulted, you have raised good points for me to think of. Yes, she is Muslim and I am Hindu boy. This is one reason that we wanted to live in a country where we don't have any problem with our religions. Can she apply depended visa for me for my holidays to stay with her in Canada and then I go back to work??? Thanks again..

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
mani74us said:
Is there any different whether she is PR or citizen??? is rule different from each other?
The only difference is that a PR must be residing in Canada for the processing of the application. A citizen can sponsor while living outside of Canada.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mani74us said:
Thank you once again for giving me valuable suggestions. Being Engg herself, she was unable to get a job of her field and she is working in a grocery shop :(. To my knowledge and belief she is not living with any social assistance. By the by I am an accountant (Semi-qualified) by profession. Yes you are correct, about making money, it will be very less compared to other middle eastern countries, which is also one of my concern (ultimate truth is money is required to lead a good life, whether its Canada or any other part of the world).

Please don't feel insulted, you have raised good points for me to think of. Yes, she is Muslim and I am Hindu boy. This is one reason that we wanted to live in a country where we don't have any problem with our religions. Can she apply depended visa for me for my holidays to stay with her in Canada and then I go back to work??? Thanks again..
You may want to address the difference in religion upfront. Basically, it's illegal in Islam for a Muslim woman to marry a man outside her religion. Now, of course, Canada doesn't hold these rules. We are free in Canada to marry anyone of any religion or no religion we want. She will need to explain why she decided to marry outside her religion, whether it's because she doesn't follow Islam strictly, you plan to convert, etc. I'm not as familiar with Hindu as I am Islam, but if there are any restrictions to marrying Muslims, you may want to address this. Also, if you're from an area with hostilities towards the Pakistanis or another Muslim country, you must also be prepared to explain why you are okay with a Muslim wife.

I know this sounds silly. Being free of prejudice is part of life in Canada (or at least the ideals of life in Canada). However, when reviewing the genuiness of a relationship, many VOs will also look at religious and cultural issues. I'm not going to argue whether it's right or wrong because I see points for both.... but that's the way it is.

mani74us

Feb 24, 2013
amikety said:
You may want to address the difference in religion upfront. Basically, it's illegal in Islam for a Muslim woman to marry a man outside her religion. Now, of course, Canada doesn't hold these rules. We are free in Canada to marry anyone of any religion or no religion we want. She will need to explain why she decided to marry outside her religion, whether it's because she doesn't follow Islam strictly, you plan to convert, etc. I'm not as familiar with Hindu as I am Islam, but if there are any restrictions to marrying Muslims, you may want to address this. Also, if you're from an area with hostilities towards the Pakistanis or another Muslim country, you must also be prepared to explain why you are okay with a Muslim wife.

I know this sounds silly. Being free of prejudice is part of life in Canada (or at least the ideals of life in Canada). However, when reviewing the genuiness of a relationship, many VOs will also look at religious and cultural issues. I'm not going to argue whether it's right or wrong because I see points for both.... but that's the way it is.

Thank you once again. Will it be advisable if we get married in Canada? I mean I go on visit and get married there? Is it possible or will this amount to cheating?? (No intention to cheat or do anything illegal). All is that we want to get married and live together for the rest of our lives. We are willing to get married in both customs ( muslim as well as hindu). We both are not that much religious, but respect each others religion.

Suppose if we get married to our respective country, what are the documents she needs to submit to sponsor me? we both understand that we both have tough jobs ahead to accomplish....thanks in advance...

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You'll need to look at your checklist and country guide for the document lists. It's different for each country.

Actually, having two ceremonies, one in each religion sounds awesome to me. I would also each write a statement that attests neither of you is hardcore religious.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/pdf/kits/guides/3904E.PDF

mani74us

Feb 24, 2013
amikety said:
You'll need to look at your checklist and country guide for the document lists. It's different for each country.

Actually, having two ceremonies, one in each religion sounds awesome to me. I would also each write a statement that attests neither of you is hardcore religious.
Thank you for the link. If she (being Iranian with canadian PR) is sponsoring me, she has to follow the above guidelines and checklist isn't it?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
She would follow the Sponsor checklist, which is the same for every sponsor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

This contains many "duplicates" as it includes documents for you as well. When I sent in my application, I did 3 separate envelopes - one for me, one for my husband (the sponsor), and one for proof of relationship. I put all the "me" documents in with my forms. On my husband's checklist, I wrote in the margin "in applicant's folder" and checked them off.