+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Driving License Experience Less than 2 years (Wait or Apply???)

Jun 6, 2019
Hey everyone! I'm currently 20 years old and I made my license recently. I'm going to British Columbia, Canada in January 2020. Up until then I'll have a 6 month experience of driving. When I'll be in canada, I can drive on my study permit till it's valid. In addition, the driving experience in canada will be counted if no I can make an international license too .

Hence, I wanted to ask is it better to wait and accumulate experience of 2 years and directly switch to Class 5 License (G License) or apply right away for a Class L license (G1) ? What's better ?

Ps: Starting from scratch will cost me alot(Class L fees, Knowledge test fee, Driving instructor fee etc.) additionally they'll retain my current license (can't drive anymore) instead waiting can save me money and I can drive.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I know you probably won't agree, but I very strongly recommend starting from scratch. Driving in Canada is nothing like driving in India, and you can get into serious trouble if you don't know the rules of the road here.

Things that you wouldn't even notice in India (Stop Signs, Merge Safely, Right of Way indications) are taken very seriously here, and you can cause a major crash if you don't know how they work. In addition, even a minor crash will make your insurance rates go sky high. In fact, you get discounts on insurance if you can show that you have attended driving school in Canada.

Since you don't have much experience driving in a developed country, please consider taking the classes. If you do have experience driving in the US or Canada, then of course things are different.

Jun 6, 2019
I reside in europe and I already drive on the left side of the road (5 month experience). The only thing is Italy doesn't have an exchange policy with canada.

I can drive well. I just wanted to know is it better to wait or apply right away.

I know you probably won't agree, but I very strongly recommend starting from scratch. Driving in Canada is nothing like driving in India, and you can get into serious trouble if you don't know the rules of the road here.

Things that you wouldn't even notice in India (Stop Signs, Merge Safely, Right of Way indications) are taken very seriously here, and you can cause a major crash if you don't know how they work. In addition, even a minor crash will make your insurance rates go sky high. In fact, you get discounts on insurance if you can show that you have attended driving school in Canada.

Since you don't have much experience driving in a developed country, please consider taking the classes. If you do have experience driving in the US or Canada, then of course things are different.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Ah, in that case, you can drive on your Italian license. If you will be able to easily get a driving record from Italy after two years (and you'll have to get it translated), it makes more sense to drive on your current license and then switch when you have the necessary experience.

If you think it will be hard to get the driving record from Italy, then go through the process from scratch here.

Jun 6, 2019
Once I reach Canada I'll confirm from ICBC.

Getting documents from italy then translating them will be a long process since I have to present myself infront of the officials to get the documents and right now I'm in india for my filing process.

Thanks anyway. I'll try with both.