Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
RROC
NOC Code......
Hey, I'm in 2nd year obgy residency and wish to move to Canada. Can I practice as a gynaecologist over there ? What is the process and what are the challenges that I'll have to face ? Any information will be helpful
I know about a doctor (and part time YouTuber), she moved with her spouse precovid. She was trying the same.

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
Same thing. You will need to pass your licensing exams first and then try to find an available residency in Canada and get selected. That may take years or may never happen. Over a thousand IMGs apply for a few hundred residency spots (increased enrolment in Canadian schools in the past few years mean less spots available) that are leftover many are less sought after residency (GP, pathology, psychiatry, etc.) and many are in French. This year there were no leftover residencies in ob/gyn so you couldn’t even try to apply for a residency program and compete against other IMGs who are ob/gyns. You would have to wait until next year and see if there was a leftover residency spot in ob/gyn and you could secure it. You also would have no control of where the spot was. Would suggest looking back multiple years and you’ll see chances of getting licensed to practice in Canada aren’t good.

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5yhb78NLKPr_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf

Don’t want to be too negative but realistically any IMG needs to realize they may not be able to practice in Canada so should be considering other locations. The UK for example makes it much easier to practice as an IMG.
Thankyou so much for the guidance. I'm rethinking about the idea of moving to Canada