+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian doctor

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
Hey, I'm in 2nd year obgy residency and wish to move to Canada. Can I practice as a gynaecologist over there ? What is the process and what are the challenges that I'll have to face ? Any information will be helpful

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, I'm in 2nd year obgy residency and wish to move to Canada. Can I practice as a gynaecologist over there ? What is the process and what are the challenges that I'll have to face ? Any information will be helpful
No, you will not be able to practice medicine as soon as you enter Canada. You will need to go through quite a long process (generally several years) in order to be allowed to practice medicine in Canada. I would recommend that you read through the information here:

https://www.mcc.ca/about/route-to-licensure/

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
Okay thanks . I will definitely go through it. Actually I researched a little bit, and I'm confused. Will I have to repeat my residency over there ? Or can I practice as gynaecologist or physician after giving few exams and practice ready assessment ?

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
I was thinking of doing some entry level job till I get to practice. So what is the average pay scale of such jobs ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay thanks . I will definitely go through it. Actually I researched a little bit, and I'm confused. Will I have to repeat my residency over there ? Or can I practice as gynaecologist or physician after giving few exams and practice ready assessment ?
You'll need to re-do your residency. This is one of the very difficult steps since it can be quite difficult to secure a residency spot in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was thinking of doing some entry level job till I get to practice. So what is the average pay scale of such jobs ?
Entry level jobs? Minimum wage.

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
I've talked to few people and they told me that some provinces allow to practice after giving PRA . Is it true ? Is there any way to practice as a doctor there without having to re-do residency ? Thanks a lot for your guidance ☺

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've talked to few people and they told me that some provinces allow to practice after giving PRA . Is it true ? Is there any way to practice as a doctor there without having to re-do residency ? Thanks a lot for your guidance ☺
I don't know.

You should ask those individuals which provinces they are talking about and then research the rules for these provinces.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: Dr. Niyati

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah minimum wage for such jobs ?
It is will be difficult to work full time will preparing for licensing exams and impossible during residency. There are small stipends during residency that increase per every year of residency. There are very few residency spots left after Canadian students have selected so you would have to hope that there was a leftover residency spot in ob/gun and the competition for the spot isn’t against many other doctors. Assume you aren’t fluent in French so that rules out certain residencies. I would research how many spots are leftover in the past 5 years although Canadian med school enrolment has increased so 5 years ago there would have been more leftover spots. There are small programs (under 10 ppl) in BC and SK for GPs to start practicing with supervision and another doctor signing off on your charts in underserved communities and you must work there for 5 years. In general any physician moving to Canada should be prepared that they may not be able to practice.

Dr. Niyati

Feb 23, 2022
Than
It is will be difficult to work full time will preparing for licensing exams and impossible during residency. There are small stipends during residency that increase per every year of residency. There are very few residency spots left after Canadian students have selected so you would have to hope that there was a leftover residency spot in ob/gun and the competition for the spot isn’t against many other doctors. Assume you aren’t fluent in French so that rules out certain residencies. I would research how many spots are leftover in the past 5 years although Canadian med school enrolment has increased so 5 years ago there would have been more leftover spots. There are small programs (under 10 ppl) in BC and SK for GPs to start practicing with supervision and another doctor signing off on your charts in underserved communities and you must work there for 5 years. In general any physician moving to Canada should be prepared that they may not be able to practice.
Thankyou so much for the information. And please let me know more about it. I wanted to move to Newfoundland province in Canada. It would be really helpful if you can tell me more about their rules and regulations regarding practice . Thankyou

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Than
Thankyou so much for the information. And please let me know more about it. I wanted to move to Newfoundland province in Canada. It would be really helpful if you can tell me more about their rules and regulations regarding practice . Thankyou
Same thing. You will need to pass your licensing exams first and then try to find an available residency in Canada and get selected. That may take years or may never happen. Over a thousand IMGs apply for a few hundred residency spots (increased enrolment in Canadian schools in the past few years mean less spots available) that are leftover many are less sought after residency (GP, pathology, psychiatry, etc.) and many are in French. This year there were no leftover residencies in ob/gyn so you couldn’t even try to apply for a residency program and compete against other IMGs who are ob/gyns. You would have to wait until next year and see if there was a leftover residency spot in ob/gyn and you could secure it. You also would have no control of where the spot was. Would suggest looking back multiple years and you’ll see chances of getting licensed to practice in Canada aren’t good.

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5yhb78NLKPr_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf

Don’t want to be too negative but realistically any IMG needs to realize they may not be able to practice in Canada so should be considering other locations. The UK for example makes it much easier to practice as an IMG.

Reactions: Dr. Niyati