+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Citizen - renunciation @ Toronto Jurisdiction

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
QQ on the documents to all who have had it processed / know someone who have had processed in Toronto jurisdiction.

Do they *really* need the Canadian passport (original) for surrender certificate? Thanks to earlier experiences of people I personally know, I have a bit trust issue with BLS document handling, unfortunately.

As I understand, they need Indian Passport as original and copy, and a copy of citizenship certificate.

PS: This is not a question on OCI / Visa.

Many thanks!

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
QQ on the documents to all who have had it processed / know someone who have had processed in Toronto jurisdiction.

Do they *really* need the Canadian passport (original) for surrender certificate? Thanks to earlier experiences of people I personally know, I have a bit trust issue with BLS document handling, unfortunately.

As I understand, they need Indian Passport as original and copy, and a copy of citizenship certificate.

Many thanks!
Why don't you book any kind of appointment and hand submit ?. BLS Brampton didn't ask to even see a single original document when I did a counter submit . You just just need to attest each photocopy (This is true copy of original,sign , date, )

Reactions: i6evx5e8

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Why don't you book any kind of appointment and hand submit ?. BLS Brampton didn't ask to even see a single original document when you hand submit . You just just need to attest each photocopy (This is true copy of original,sign , date, )
That's nice! Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how did you manager to book the appointment? Their queue is perpetually full. :confused:

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's nice! Thanks for the info.

I was wondering how did you manager to book the appointment? Their queue is perpetually full. :confused:
People keep canceling the appointments. Just keep checking, any sort of appointment should work.

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018

Many thanks!
Hi,

For Surrender Certificate, Canadian passport is not mandatory to submit. only original required is Indian passport and a copy of Canadian Citizenship. I told them that I did not apply yet for canadian passport and they just asked for a letter declaring that I have not applied for the same. I applied last Wednesday 6th of April with appointment @ BLS BRAMPTON there were a few mistakes in my application and was advised to fill up a new application and come before 1:30 PM and was able to submit my application on that day itself. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hi,

For Surrender Certificate, Canadian passport is not mandatory to submit. only original required is Indian passport and a copy of Canadian Citizenship. I told them that I did not apply yet for canadian passport and they just asked for a letter declaring that I have not applied for the same. I applied last Wednesday 6th of April with appointment @ BLS BRAMPTON there were a few mistakes in my application and was advised to fill up a new application and come before 1:30 PM and was able to submit my application on that day itself. Hope this helps.
Perfect. Many thanks!

"a letter declaring that I have not applied" >> just a plain simple letter on white paper (may be with signature), right?

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Perfect. Many thanks!

"a letter declaring that I have not applied" >> just a plain simple letter on white paper (may be with signature), right?
This is my own format which I typed in on a computer and carried a printout with a signature. You can use the same as well

To,

Consulate General of India,
365 Bloor St E #700, Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Dear Sir/Ma’am,

Re: Self Declaration regarding Canadian passport submission with surrender certificate application.

I ____________________________ declare that I have not yet applied for a Canadian passport since becoming a citizen on ______________________. Due to this situation, I am unable to submit the same with Surrender Certificate application for Indian Passport.

Your truly

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
This is my own format which I typed in on a computer and carried a printout with a signature. You can use the same as well

To,

Consulate General of India,
365 Bloor St E #700, Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Dear Sir/Ma’am,

Re: Self Declaration regarding Canadian passport submission with surrender certificate application.

I ____________________________ declare that I have not yet applied for a Canadian passport since becoming a citizen on ______________________. Due to this situation, I am unable to submit the same with Surrender Certificate application for Indian Passport.

Your truly
Thank you so much!

Positivevibes9

Apr 21, 2022
@Craxyrider can you please help me which checklist is for most recent application as I can see different checklists online ?
And also what documents and forms are needed for surrender application. As I’m applying by Mail ( lives far away from Brampton).

online application
Indian Passport and copies
Canadian citizenship certificate
Address proof
Fee

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
@Craxyrider can you please help me which checklist is for most recent application as I can see different checklists online ?
And also what documents and forms are needed for surrender application. As I’m applying by Mail ( lives far away from Brampton).

online application
Indian Passport and copies
Canadian citizenship certificate
Address proof
Fee
@Positivevibes9 That list should be fine. For the photo they may send the application back they made me redo the photo in their office saying that it does not meet the requirements and also charged for the same. so I suggest you double check the requirements before sending the docs otherwise you will burn your hard earned money for postal back and forth. Its almost 80 up and down.

Positivevibes9

Apr 21, 2022
@Positivevibes9 That list should be fine. For the photo they may send the application back they made me redo the photo in their office saying that it does not meet the requirements and also charged for the same. so I suggest you double check the requirements before sending the docs otherwise you will burn your hard earned money for postal back and forth. Its almost 80 up and down.
Thank you. Crazy expensive for courier service

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
After getting a new citizenship how long do you have before you must renounce Indian one? What are the penalties if late?

intensecool

Jan 29, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called BLS, they mentioned they don't need to have passport. Just certificate is enough.