+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Chartered Accountants Join this thread share your views

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
b2c said:
Regarding requirements of One year's training in CGA, these are not applicable to Indian CAs with graduation degrees.
This is incorrect, you still have to gain one year of senior level acceptable experience in Canada.
The only accounting bodies which are exempt from this requirement are those who have a MRA with CGA (ACCA, CPA Australia/Ireland).

"CGA Ontario will assess and consider your years of practical experience in your home country toward meeting the CGA program's practical experience requirement. You will still have to gain a minimum of one year's Canadian experience at a senior/professional level in an acceptable accounting, auditing, taxation, financial management or systems position once you arrive in Ontario."

Since I can't post the direct link: go to cga ontario and follow the path
/Prospective_Students/Post_secondary/Internationally_Trained_Professionals/Application_Process.aspx

For many newcomers it takes an average of three years to fulfill the CGA experience requirement. You should consider yourself extremely fortunate if you can get a senior level job immediately once you set foot in Canada.

Actually after completing CGA getting decent jobs in the field of Auditing and Accounting will also become easier.
That's because like I mentioned above, you need one year of senior level experience to become a CGA.

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
honeyjack said:
Rightly said Bharat...as i said before CGA may be the good option as compared to CA. Subjects to clear will be approx 3 & it's results are on a higher side then CA.
It's 5 subjects (TX1 + PA1 + PA2 + 2 PACE level electives) and in some cases BC2.

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
setcanada said:
if articleship is Mandatory than why CICA sign MOU with ICAI? i.e US CPA has an reciprocaty with Chartered Accountant in Ontario and no articleship is required.
Who told you this, if you are a US CPA with no public accounting experience, you will still have to compensate for that at an CATO office.

A. Membership Candidate

You may register with the Institute if you wrote all parts of the uniform CPA examination or of the normal qualifying examination(s) of the recognized accounting body while not a resident, and not having been a resident, of Canada for a period of three continuous years immediately prior to writing the examinations. You must also complete the following Institute requirements for members of recognized accounting bodies:

* the CA Reciprocity Examination (CARE); and
* three years of accounting experience, if you have not been exempted from it.

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
Due to the rising number of Canadian university students pursuing the CA designation, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario decided to allow those who couldn't get employment with a CATO office to register and take the CA exams.

"In recognition of the difficulty that a significant number of otherwise qualified individuals may be having in securing employment in a CA Training Office (CATO) during the current economic downturn, the Institute's Council recently approved the introduction of a new Section 210 (Exemption from Employment Requirement) in Regulation I, A regulation in respect of students."

Unfortunately, many of them will spend thousands of dollars, pass the SOA, CKE and UFE and still remain unemployed. :'(

Bottom line:
-If you are a CA and are exempt from the training requirement, go for the Canadian CA.
-If you are a CA with extensive public accounting experience (big 4, mid-sized firms) in India, Middle East, UK/US, give the Canadian CA a shot.
- Anything else, pursue CGA.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi xtc,

Thanks for sharing the great pieces of info.I really appreciate.
Regarding the CGA exams - An indian CA with B.com and relevant experience has to take the following papers. - FA4 and AU1 as a challenge exam and TX1 and BC2 at advanced level and the Pace courses as well as the Professional studies.
Regarding One yr of experience what u say is relevant,but what CGA says is,by the time u pass these exams and u hv been employed for a period of one year or more,u should be able to get the requirement fulfilled.They did not mention at what level the experience is needed.
Are u in the course of doing any of these exams or what is ur status.I hv enrolled for CGA.

Thanks

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
penpal said:
Hi xtc,

Regarding One yr of experience what u say is relevant,but what CGA says is,by the time u pass these exams and u hv been employed for a period of one year or more,u should be able to get the requirement fulfilled.They did not mention at what level the experience is needed.
CGA Ontario website (check the link) clearly states one year experience has to be in Canada and at a senior/professional level.

"To achieve the appropriate breadth and depth of competencies for certification, students need to have 36 months or more of relevant work experience, including 12 months or more at a senior/professional level in Canada."

Please read this PDF file.
cga-domore.org/Downloads/Work%20Experience%20Requirements.pdf

You can not become a CGA if you are working as a bookkeeper or a staff accountant after a year in Canada.
Take me for example, I can complete the CGA educational requirement in six months but it may take me close to two years to fulfill the work experience.
Another example, most students who graduate with a bachelors degree in accounting from a Canadian university can complete the CGA educational requirements in 9-12 months.

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
penpal said:
Hi xtc,

Thanks for sharing the great pieces of info.I really appreciate.
Regarding the CGA exams - An indian CA with B.com and relevant experience has to take the following papers. - FA4 and AU1 as a challenge exam and TX1 and BC2 at advanced level and the Pace courses as well as the Professional studies.
An Indian CA has to take TX1, AU2*, BC2**, PA1, PA2 and 2 PACE level electives.

*You are eligible for a transfer credit if you pick TX2 as one of you PACE level electives.
** You are eligible for a transfer credit if you have at least two years of public accounting experience (anywhere in the world).

As a US CPA, my CGA evaluation (2009) was as follows;
TX1, PA1, PA2, BC2**

The difference between an Indian CA and a US CPA is the two PACE level elective subjects. However, if you plan to open your own firm, then an Indian CA gives you the same exemptions as a US CPA.

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
penpal said:
but what CGA says is,by the time u pass these exams and u hv been employed for a period of one year or more,u should be able to get the requirement fulfilled.They did not mention at what level the experience is needed.
What CGA says is the "recommended" path of becoming a CGA.

"You would typically begin in an entry or foundation level position in accounting while you are in the first two levels of the program, to acquire skills in such areas as clerical work, bookkeeping, tax preparation, accounting maintenance, procedures implementation; and use of computer tools/packages. You would then progress to an intermediate level position while you are in the third and fourth levels of the program, working at activities such as interpretation of financial statements; financial analyses; annual budgeting; investment management; procedural recommendations; small organization audits; and systems analysis. You would then advance to a senior/professional stage, acquiring experience at the management, policy or long-range planning levels, with greater responsibilities"

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Xtc,

Thanks for ur reply once again.
I m not much worried about the experience requirement as i working at a managerial level right now.
What i m concerned is i hv been told to take FA4 and AU1 as challenge exams which is not in the list as per ur mail.So does this mean that each individual is assessed differently as far exemptions in CGA are concerned.

Thanks

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
penpal said:
Hi Xtc,

Thanks for ur reply once again.
I m not much worried about the experience requirement as i working at a managerial level right now.
What i m concerned is i hv been told to take FA4 and AU1 as challenge exams which is not in the list as per ur mail.So does this mean that each individual is assessed differently as far exemptions in CGA are concerned.

Thanks
I suggest you contact CGA. Designated accountants from the same body should be assessed similarly.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi XTC,

What CGA tells me is that since i do not hold COP certificate of practice,i need to sit for the FA4 and AU1 papers.What is your take on this.

Thanks

cabharatbhushan

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
Amritsar, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/05/2010
Doc's Request.
waiting
AOR Received.
07/05/2010
IELTS Request
already done
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
xtc2011 said:
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Indian CA designation, I don't know what COP certificate is.
COP stands Certificate of Practice

honeyjack

May 20, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Xtc,

You are sharing very useful info. thanks...

I have a question whether CIA can get job directly?

If i join CGA then CIA designation have any advantage in exemption?
Honeyjack

xtc2011

Feb 26, 2011
honeyjack said:
Xtc,

I have a question whether CIA can get job directly?
Work experience and soft skills (communication, personality) are determining factors in most cases.

here are some CIA job examples:

http://pennwest.hgcareers.com/en/js/viewjob.php?submit=Search&custompage=1&jobID=1729

https://agrium-hr.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=174630&company_id=1001&version=1&source=ONLINE&jobOwner=992340&aid=1

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA6/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=MERIDIANCU&cws=1&rid=153

http://clients.njoyn.com/cgi/xweb/Xweb.asp?tbtoken=YVhQQ1USNxMHZnV3TSBJFVtKd3ldfSUob11TJV0Re21ZUDYYKDYfARN0PApXVh1aSD5l&chk=dFlbQBJf&clid=22881&Page=JobDetails&Jobid=J0211-0615

If i join CGA then CIA designation have any advantage in exemption?
Don't know, but you will not get more exemptions than an Indian CA.