+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India travel immediately after Canadian Citizenship

bharat_khanna

Sep 11, 2018
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Toronto with Canadian PR. My family also has the same status. We applied for Canadian citizenship last year & today we received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on November 13th.
We have to travel to India on December 7th (, we have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, we need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

1) Does that mean we can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

OR

2) We get Canadian Citizenship Certificate but don’t apply for Canadian Passport. Travel to India on Indian Passport and come back to US(as we have US B1 visa). Drive down to Canada using Citizenship Certificate (As per their site Citizenship Certificate can be used as authentic Document for entering to Canada through Land)

Please Suggest, Regards

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Toronto with Canadian PR. My family also has the same status. We applied for Canadian citizenship last year & today we received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on November 13th.
We have to travel to India on December 7th (, we have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, we need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

1) Does that mean we can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

OR

2) We get Canadian Citizenship Certificate but don’t apply for Canadian Passport. Travel to India on Indian Passport and come back to US(as we have US B1 visa). Drive down to Canada using Citizenship Certificate (As per their site Citizenship Certificate can be used as authentic Document for entering to Canada through Land)

Please Suggest, Regards
do not take risk waite for proper document you never know entry/exit control about india

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
I'm in a similar position and I asked my oath to be pushed back to after I'm back from my travels.

Indian immigration officials are notorious for giving everyone a hard time, it's like they get off on it. I wouldn't risk it.

Either push your trip back by a couple of months or ask for the ceremony to be postponed.

Reactions: A_S

bharat_khanna

Sep 11, 2018
Thanks, of-course that’s safest option. But, trying if there are other ways without pushing Oath or existing Travel Plans. Eve one more option came to mind:-

OR

2) We get Canadian Citizenship Certificate but don’t apply for Canadian Passport. Travel to India on Indian Passport and come back to US(as we have US B1 visa). Drive down to Canada using Citizenship Certificate (As per their site Citizenship Certificate can be used as authentic Document for entering to Canada through Land

OR

3) Get Canadian Passport, travel to New York and apply for Indian Visa(wait time there is 5 days)

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Thanks, of-course that’s safest option. But, trying if there are other ways without pushing Oath or existing Travel Plans. Eve one more option came to mind:-

OR

2) We get Canadian Citizenship Certificate but don’t apply for Canadian Passport. Travel to India on Indian Passport and come back to US(as we have US B1 visa). Drive down to Canada using Citizenship Certificate (As per their site Citizenship Certificate can be used as authentic Document for entering to Canada through Land

OR

3) Get Canadian Passport, travel to New York and apply for Indian Visa(wait time there is 5 days)
The rules are ambiguously written so that they can be twisted by authorities to convince!
I have not tried it but your option 1 fits in best to that ambiguous rule!

You should at least get the Canadian passport.
I think, The Canadian rules for entering canada states that you need a passport! Minor under 16 can enter on citizenship certificate original but adult needs a passport.

best option would be either to defer the oath or travel but if you decide to take this risky journey please do share your experience

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

OR

OR

1- indian immigration ask your canadian status .
2-accept. A proof of citizenship (such as a citizenship certificate) is not a travel document.) if you have nexus card is ok
3-if you confident you can do that when come back share your experience.