+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent work permit for Spouse

balkarthik

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi there,

I have a quick question

1. Mine and my spouse (Open work permit) work permit expiring in Nov 2019 end - i have applied for extention and filed the same for me and my family.
2. I have a submitted the document for PR under CEC class. Medical Passed , but still the application is in progress.

My wife is current working in a permanent job in BC (open work permit). But i'm been told by my company (not IRCC) to go back to india in next couple of weeks.

Upon asking, Is there any chance that her company may give her a closed work permit for her to stay in canada? will the law allow to do so?

My intention is atleast one should stay in canada until i get the PR. I'm bit affraid that i will not be able to enter canada as my work permit is expiring, hence planning for my wife to get the same.

Is there any possibility?

Thanks...!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Upon asking, Is there any chance that her company may give her a closed work permit for her to stay in canada? will the law allow to do so?
Companies do not give work permits. Only IRCC does. For your wife to get a Temporary Work Permit (closed, probably what you currently have), the company would need to apply for an LMIA and be approved.

balkarthik

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Companies do not give work permits. Only IRCC does. For your wife to get a Temporary Work Permit (closed, probably what you currently have), the company would need to apply for an LMIA and be approved.
Is the company that she is currently working should need to apply for LMIA and their approval? Is my understanding rite?

If i get a open bridge work permit, can my wife work here without me styaing in the country?

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Is the company that she is currently working should need to apply for LMIA and their approval? Is my understanding rite?
If she wants a work permit which is independent of yours, yes.

If i get a open bridge work permit, can my wife work here without me styaing in the country?
If you apply for a BOWP before your current permit expires, she can apply for another SOWP at the same time, based on your BOWP. If you are approved, then yes, she can stay on her SOWP regardless of whether you stay here.