+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

incorporating both at province and federal level?

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Hi all,

I work as a software consultant and I was full time but since April 2018 I left my job and got incorporated on the federal level and started to work on a contractual basis. So the company just has 1 employee (myself).
I have been told by my accountant that I need to be incorporated also on the Ontario level.

I find this strange as my previous accountant didn't inform me about this. I have been working just in Ontario but if my work demands, i would have to move temporarily or permanently to other provinces too.

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Federal incorporation requires business offices in 2 or more provinces. If you don't have that, you shouldn't be incorporated federally.

If you are incorporated federally, you also need to be extraprovincially registered in Ontario, the fees for which are equal to incorporating in Ontario.

Reactions: acerbico423

Mauchan

Star Member
Dec 2, 2017
I find this strange as my previous accountant didn't inform me about this. I have been working just in Ontario but if my work demands, i would have to move temporarily or permanently to other provinces too.
You just need to **register** in Ontario - federal incorporation is fine. You do not need to incorporate again and have another office in a second province. Registration is not the same as incorporation. If you move to another province, you just need to register there without incorporating.

Source: I own a Federal corporation that is also registered in Ontario. My corporate office is in Ontario.

Last edited: