+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

income tax and benefits for spouse

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am literally researching the same thing for my husband right now and I'm super confused with the different classifications of residents in Canada. I'm also trying to avoid having to fill in the "determination of Residency form." ha!

I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband has been with me in Canada on a visitor visa for 2020. Except he has been working remotely for his company in his country. There is no Canadian income, but there is worldwide income to declare. (He also does not have a SIN number)

I'm guessing we file a paper tax form for him, but i can't quite determine if we 'non-resident tax package' or just use a regular tax package to file his taxes this year.

Any help would be appreciated!
You must declare his earnings on your tax returning for benefit calculation. He doesn't file taxes until he has a WP or PWR

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
My wife's timeline is exactly the same as OP, except she left to go back home for a month in June and we apply for PR in July. I was wondering the same thing as tax season is coming soon.
She came in Mid 2019, we married Feb 2020, spousal PR app July 2020.

From reading through this thread I am getting majority saying that She does not have to file tax here because she as no SIN number + 0 income. I can file tax writing her in my taxes with sin 000-000-000 and get the tax benefit as a family. Is this understanding correct?

Also I was just reading She doesn't have to file tax because she receive no benefit, what about health care benefit? Does that count or change anything?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My wife's timeline is exactly the same as OP, except she left to go back home for a month in June and we apply for PR in July. I was wondering the same thing as tax season is coming soon.
She came in Mid 2019, we married Feb 2020, spousal PR app July 2020.

From reading through this thread I am getting majority saying that She does not have to file tax here because she as no SIN number + 0 income. I can file tax writing her in my taxes with sin 000-000-000 and get the tax benefit as a family. Is this understanding correct?

Also I was just reading She doesn't have to file tax because she receive no benefit, what about health care benefit? Does that count or change anything?
You are correct, all zeros.