+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income requirement for spouse sponsorship

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
Hi all
I landed in Canada on January 2018 , then went back to my home to prepare my return. I will get back in 2 weeks.

I have been married since 2 years, but I applied my PR application without my wife ( non accompying spouse).

Now I would like to sponsor her on my next landing. My questions regarding my condition ;

1- I am planning to study in a college , so I may not be able to work.

2- I have a good bank deposit ( 30,000 CAD).

In this condition , can I apply for sponsorship.

NB: If being unemployed will result in refusal . Is working as a part time casual job during studying, Will help ??

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all
I landed in Canada on January 2018 , then went back to my home to prepare my return. I will get back in 2 weeks.

I have been married since 2 years, but I applied my PR application without my wife ( non accompying spouse).

Now I would like to sponsor her on my next landing. My questions regarding my condition ;

1- I am planning to study in a college , so I may not be able to work.

2- I have a good bank deposit ( 30,000 CAD).

In this condition , can I apply for sponsorship.

NB: If being unemployed will result in refusal . Is working as a part time casual job during studying, Will help ??

Thanks
You will have to prove that you can support your spouse. If you are studying full-time I would imagine tuition and living expenses will consume a large portion of your savings but as long as you have savings left or your wife has savings you will be fine.

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
You will have to prove that you can support your spouse. If you are studying full-time I would imagine tuition and living expenses will consume a large portion of your savings but as long as you have savings left or your wife has savings you will be fine.
Thanks for answering
No I will try to save the money for sponsorship.S Regarding this , saving the money as a proof of sponsorship capability is better in my account or my spouse account ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for answering
No I will try to save the money for sponsorship.S Regarding this , saving the money as a proof of sponsorship capability is better in my account or my spouse account ?
Colleges don’t tend to give out scholarships but you may qualify for student loans if you want to take them out.. The money can remain in your current accounts. You are married so both support each other financially.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I just read that your wife is a doctor. Does she realize the chances of practicing medicine in Canada are very low?

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
Colleges don’t tend to give out scholarships but you may qualify for student loans if you want to take them out.. The money can remain in your current accounts. You are married so both support each other financially.
This what I am aiming for. Thanks for your help :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This what I am aiming for. Thanks for your help :)
You will have to submit tax and income statements from you and your wife. Depending on your income you may not qualify for loans. If you were able to save 30K you may not qualify. Why would you not move somewhere where you and your wife can work as dentists and doctors? Lots of places where you could both practice your professions and lead very comfortable lives,

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
You will have to submit tax and income statements from you and your wife. Depending on your income you may not qualify for loans. If you were able to save 30K you may not qualify. Why would you not move somewhere where you and your wife can work as dentists and doctors? Lots of places where you could both practice your professions and lead very comfortable lives,
I do not understand what you advised , to practice as a dentist in Canada , I will have to join dental school for 2 years ( 120,000 to 150.000 CAD ) , All my friends applied for a student loan after gaining the admission accetance in . Regarding the bank savings , I will put all the savings in her account.

What I do not understand , is how to submit tax and income status for my wife , as she is not in Canada yet ??

So , what is your advice regarding my condition.

My plan I, will study for my first exam ( required for school admission ) fora 6 months ( may be during it , I can work as a part time ) . Later, Try to join a dental school after acceptance and apply for student loan.

My wife is abroad , work in her hometown as a physician.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do not understand what you advised , to practice as a dentist in Canada , I will have to join dental school for 2 years ( 120,000 to 150.000 CAD ) , All my friends applied for a student loan after gaining the admission accetance in . Regarding the bank savings , I will put all the savings in her account.

What I do not understand , is how to submit tax and income status for my wife , as she is not in Canada yet ??

So , what is your advice regarding my condition.

My plan I, will study for my first exam ( required for school admission ) fora 6 months ( may be during it , I can work as a part time ) . Later, Try to join a dental school after acceptance and apply for student loan.

My wife is abroad , work in her hometown as a physician.
You said you were attending a college not a university so assumed you were abandoning your dental career. Family income, even international income, factors into whether you qualify for student loans. Unless things have drastically changed dental school was not 120-150k for 2 years. That sounds like the cost of a whole dental 4 year dental degree plus drill set.

You should be aware before spending a lot of money on dental school or just taking the exam that Canada has a surplus of dentists. People assume that Canada only accepts immigrants from professions in demand which isn’t the case,

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/glut-of-dentists-causes-aches-in-canadas-big-cities/article36322773

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/03/26/surplus-of-dentists-brings-changes-to-the-profession-in-canada/ (This article is 5+ yrs old so situation has gotten worse)

Assume your wife eventually wants to move to Canada. Has she explored how difficult getting relicensed in Canada will be? You have a bit of a chance as a family doctor, pathologist or psychiatrist but it is extremely hard to practice medicine as an IMG in Canada and most doctors discover this when they arrive in Canada. Many go back to school to study something else and some leave to practice elsewhere. Just want people to be making educated decisions about where they immigrate knowing there are other great countries trying to recruit doctors to practice in their hospitals or clinics.

Haytham1984

Sep 16, 2017
Thanks for making every thing clear. I am aware of what was said, and I am willing to continue with these challenges.

What I was asking regarding my condition ( stated above) , was about my spouse sponsorship ability , and how to do it regarding my plan.( Described in details).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for making every thing clear. I am aware of what was said, and I am willing to continue with these challenges.

What I was asking regarding my condition ( stated above) , was about my spouse sponsorship ability , and how to do it regarding my plan.( Described in details).
Same answer. As long as you can show that you can support yourselves without government help and you are living in Canada when you apply for sponsorship you will qualify.