+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Including spouse

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
Hey everyone, My brother was approved to get the permanent resident days ago. He hasn't sent the passport to the visa office yet. Before getting approved he was planning to get married and already have a date for it, tho he didn't include her in the application earlier. the RFV letter is advising him that he should let IRCC know that his marital status will be changing. Should he contact IRCC when he gets the marriage certificate? Or before? Will there be any change of mind from IRCC? Thanks in advance for honest answers.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey everyone, My brother was approved to get the permanent resident days ago. He hasn't sent the passport to the visa office yet. Before getting approved he was planning to get married and already have a date for it, tho he didn't include her in the application earlier. the RFV letter is advising him that he should let IRCC know that his marital status will be changing. Should he contact IRCC when he gets the marriage certificate? Or before? Will there be any change of mind from IRCC? Thanks in advance for honest answers.
The key thing is whether he gets married before he travels to Canada and 'lands.' If he gets married before he lands, he MUST declare her as spouse and yes, that will delay his current app.

So two scenarios:
1) He sends the passport, gets the visa, travels, lands becomes a PR, then he can return, get married, and sponsor her from Canada afterwards.

Disadvantage is it might mean being separated for some of this time (esp if she cannot get a visitor's visa). I think ti might be moderately more expensive but not certain.

2) If he gets married, he MUST declare her before landing and yes, they'll revoke the visa and examine her too. (Medical, bio, background, etc). This will mean a delay - not necessarily a long one, but several months. but when approved they can travel and become PRs together.

Most of this boils down to personal preference and planning.

But I repeat the MUST declare her before travelling: if he doesn't, he will never be able to sponsor her - ever.

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
In scenario 2) It means they can both be denied with the visa or just delay? He was just approved. He want to declare he is going to get married and provide the certificate.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
In scenario 2) It means they can both be denied with the visa? He was just approved. I thought it was just wait for her to take medicals etc and then interview or whatever they say.
He will need to add her in his application. She will need to pass medical, police check and background check. That will delay for a few months, yes.
So yes it's to "wait for her part of the process". So he will be issue new visas for both of them.
There is ALWAYS a possibility of refusal. (e.g. if she has criminal charges or she fails her medical)

Reactions: armoured

daviddock

Star Member
Jul 23, 2012
Category........
He will need to add her in his application. She will need to pass medical, police check and background check. That will delay for a few months, yes.
So yes it's to "wait for her part of the process". So he will be issue new visas for both of them.
There is ALWAYS a possibility of refusal. (e.g. if she has criminal charges or she fails her medical)
Is there any chance to get a refusal for doing this at the latest stage. I mean, he received a ready for visa letter but he wants to declare her before getting the passport stamped. Well if that happens.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any chance to get a refusal for doing this at the latest stage. I mean, he received a ready for visa letter but he wants to declare her before getting the passport stamped. Well if that happens.
You've been given great advice. Your brother just needs to pick one. Either one will not impact his approved PR, but will delay his landing if adding his spouse to his application.
Bottom line: He cannot land as a single person if he gets married before he lands. Period.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your question was answered above. It may be unlikely but if spouse is a war criminal, yes, it would be refused.