+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inadmissible students Due to violation(s)

MickeyMoore05

Dec 3, 2018
Hi, has anyone ever became inadmissible to Canada as an international student for any violations? Please share what happened and what your options were.

Last edited:

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, has anyone ever became inadmissible to Canada as am international student for any violations? Please share what happened and what your options were.
If you broke a hard and fast written rule then obviously you would not be admissible. Going to be hard to find people willing to talk about such experiences in an open forum. I would suggest you get an immigration lawyer or someone similar to help your case.

MickeyMoore05

Dec 3, 2018
If you broke a hard and fast written rule then obviously you would not be admissible. Going to be hard to find people willing to talk about such experiences in an open forum. I would suggest you get an immigration lawyer or someone similar to help your case.
Thank you for that, selvakk. I had mistakenly worked full time in my final session while waiting to revert to part time. I will like to make a restoration if I have become inadmissible but I don’t know my status as I think my study visa is still active. Will IRCC contact you once you are inadmissible? Or maybe they haven’t seen it yet? How do you know for sure you are inadmissible?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thank you for that, selvakk. I had mistakenly worked full time in my final session while waiting to revert to part time. I will like to make a restoration if I have become inadmissible but I don’t know my status as I think my study visa is still active. Will IRCC contact you once you are inadmissible? Or maybe they haven’t seen it yet? How do you know for sure you are inadmissible?
you mean you worked a full time job while being a part time student right ?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Before I became a part time student. I had applied, waiting, I worked for a month or so before I became part time.
Regardless of full time or part time you are only allowed to work for 20 hours a week. Did you work for more than 20 hours a week ?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
They did.
So 100% both CRA and IRCC know that you have violated your study permit. I highly, highly suggest that you go do an Immigration lawyer ASAP and get a consultation and see what can be done. They should be knowing if any precedent has taken place that can help your case. Do note that none of us in this forum are lawyers and information given here is not legal advice.

To my knowledge, a student is allowed to work only 20 hours a week off campus under study permit. You cannot work off or on campus if you are a part-time student. The only exception to this is when it is your final semester of college where you can be a part-time student and continue to work as your study permit allows and be eligible for PGWP.

Since you said that you have worked more than 20 hours you have basically violated the study permit regardless of being a full time student or a part-time student. Thus any future visa requests or PR applications will have this on record. As on date these are the facts.

You need to go and get a lawyer and see if there is a way to squeeze out of this problem, I wish you the best of luck.

MickeyMoore05

Dec 3, 2018
So 100% both CRA and IRCC know that you have violated your study permit. I highly, highly suggest that you go do an Immigration lawyer ASAP and get a consultation and see what can be done. They should be knowing if any precedent has taken place that can help your case. Do note that none of us in this forum are lawyers and information given here is not legal advice.

To my knowledge, a student is allowed to work only 20 hours a week off campus under study permit. You cannot work off or on campus if you are a part-time student. The only exception to this is when it is your final semester of college where you can be a part-time student and continue to work as your study permit allows and be eligible for PGWP.

Since you said that you have worked more than 20 hours you have basically violated the study permit regardless of being a full time student or a part-time student. Thus any future visa requests or PR applications will have this on record. As on date these are the facts.

You need to go and get a lawyer and see if there is a way to squeeze out of this problem, I wish you the best of luck.
Thanks. One last question please. What if I left Canada and applied for pr in my home country?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks. One last question please. What if I left Canada and applied for pr in my home country?
Not sure but you should treat it as if this will be on your permanent record. Like I said to contact a lawyer while you're still in Canada to focus on the next steps. They will definitely know that you applied for a student visa and were in Canada, if they know you did more hours than you were allowed I honestly do not know and I don't wish to know.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
What are you trying to apply for now? You don't become inadmissible because of working a few extra hours, inadmissible is for criminal convictions or fraudulent immigration applications. Just apply and hope for the best.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
What are you trying to apply for now? You don't become inadmissible because of working a few extra hours, inadmissible is for criminal convictions or fraudulent immigration applications. Just apply and hope for the best.
He was working full time for a month on a SIN which is not allowed for a student permit. Sure maybe 21 hours instead of 20 once or twice is fine but for one month over 20 hrs means that his future applications could be at risk of rejection. If it was so easy then why don't more people not bother with following the 20hr guidelines. Only thing he can do is now apply and hope for best.