+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In regards to unborn children when applying

kristinickin

Aug 13, 2016
I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband is american. We are applying for his permanent residency so he can join me in Canada. I'm currently pregnant and the application will be sent in before the baby is born - do we need to include the child-to-be in the paperwork? Since I'm Canadian, she will obviously also be part canadian so I don't think it would be an issue...but I'd appreciate some advice!

Thank you!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kristinickin said:
I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband is american. We are applying for his permanent residency so he can join me in Canada. I'm currently pregnant and the application will be sent in before the baby is born - do we need to include the child-to-be in the paperwork? Since I'm Canadian, she will obviously also be part canadian so I don't think it would be an issue...but I'd appreciate some advice!

Thank you!
The child will be Canadian when born in Canada. Not "Part Canadian".

You only need to inform CIC when the baby is born.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
no, IRCC doesn't care about babies not born yet. if the baby is born before your husband is approved for pr, all you would need to do is send the birth certificate and proof of canadian citizenship to the visa office. the sponsor approval letter you receive will include instructions for how to contact them.

kristinickin

Aug 13, 2016
She will be born in the US. We will be applying for her passport and applying to get her proof of citizenship as soon as she is born

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
kristinickin said:
She will be born in the US. We will be applying for her passport and applying to get her proof of citizenship as soon as she is born
The child will not be added to PR application but CIC may instruct you to submit an updated family form with newborn added. After all you must list all children, canadian or otherwise.

Mind you, assuming the baby will be born before your spouse lands as PR. Otherwise it is moot once baby is born after spouse lands as PR

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long did it take for you to get her passport and birth certificate?
Can be a lengthy process. The baby can also come to Canada as a visitor from the US if you get his/her US paperwork first. The one issue is that she/he may not have healthcare depending on the province. Still may not have healthcare for up to 3 months even if she/he is a returning citizen so buy health insurance if that is the case.

mwr19880806

Oct 3, 2018
Can be a lengthy process. The baby can also come to Canada as a visitor from the US if you get his/her US paperwork first. The one issue is that she/he may not have healthcare depending on the province. Still may not have healthcare for up to 3 months even if she/he is a returning citizen so buy health insurance if that is the case.
Thanks for the reply, so in this case, the baby is not listed as an dependent in the application? Just a family member?

Monie

Star Member
Sep 22, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/act-changes/rules-2009-2015.html

Also just a note are u a canadian citizen born in Canada or a naturalized citizen? Then your baby will be the first generation born outside Canada. If that is the case, no worries! baby has right to citizenship.

But if second generation born outside Canada have to apply for PR for the baby. This would mean your parent(s) are citizen born in Canada or naturlized citizen and u were born outside of Canada and your child also born outside of Canada, this would make your baby the second generation born outside of Canada.

The government passed a law if I remember correctly in 2009 that doesnt allow to pass on citizenship beyond the first generation born outside of Canada.

Last edited: