Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello,
I read that IRCC has resumed the in-person oath ceremonies only for people who explicitly make request for it.

I would like to know if any of you guys have successfully tried to request for an in-person oath ceremony and how long it took to get one scheduled.
Particularly, I was wondering if the invite for an in-person ceremony will delay the timeline much more than deciding to attend the virtual ceremony on zoom.

Thanks!

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hello,
I read that IRCC has resumed the in-person oath ceremonies only for people who explicitly make request for it.

I would like to know if any of you guys have successfully tried to request for an in-person oath ceremony and how long it took to get one scheduled.
Particularly, I was wondering if the invite for an in-person ceremony will delay the timeline much more than deciding to attend the virtual ceremony on zoom.

Thanks!
In-person Ceremony will definitely delay you in becoming a Citizen, dont know what the circumstances will be tomorrow, if you received a request to take Oath ceremony virtually then go for it without delay.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Yeah, but I would like to understand if it's a few week delay, or if a 6-month/1-year delay as there is quite some difference, that's why I was wondering if anybody had requested and obtained to have their ceremony in person. I don't care too much about waiting 1 or 2 months, I'm not really in a rush, but if it were like 4-6 months or even more, I would then try to attend the ceremony online.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
As I haven't heard from anybody and the in-person oath ceremonies are something quite new, I assume nobody took yet an in-person oath since the pandemic.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
As I haven't heard from anybody and the in-person oath ceremonies are something quite new, I assume nobody took yet an in-person oath since the pandemic.
Given that not all agree about the vaccines, it wouldn't be prudent to invite only vaccinated applicants. It would create a media mess IRCC can do without. You are right, no one reported in-person oath. However, Ontario is set to lift ALL restrictions Jan 2022, so maybe then they will allow in-person oaths for ALL applicants.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Well, not all agree on virtual oath ceremonies or can't attend for technical reasons, so that is not the point.

In the last few weeks, IRCC has started allowing in-person ceremonies only for people who explicitly ask for it, provided that the local condition allow it (some provinces are doing much better than others in terms of covid situation). If they said they are started doing it, it probably mean that they are doing it right now.

So, I was not asking on how, when, and why they should resume in-person ceremonies as IRCC call center confirmed on the fact that they have resumed. I was mainly trying to hear from someone who was indeed able to get an in-person ceremony scheduled and with what type of timeline. :)

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Well, not all agree on virtual oath ceremonies or can't attend for technical reasons, so that is not the point.

In the last few weeks, IRCC has started allowing in-person ceremonies only for people who explicitly ask for it, provided that the local condition allow it (some provinces are doing much better than others in terms of covid situation). If they said they are started doing it, it probably mean that they are doing it right now.

So, I was not asking on how, when, and why they should resume in-person ceremonies as IRCC call center confirmed on the fact that they have resumed. I was mainly trying to hear from someone who was indeed able to get an in-person ceremony scheduled and with what type of timeline. :)
I will ask you in turn for a reference? Where did IRCC say they allow in-person oath upon request?

hungtington

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
I will ask you in turn for a reference? Where did IRCC say they allow in-person oath upon request?
I believe the official website says that if you do not want to do the test/oath online, and prefer in-person, you may choose to. But they did not say anything regarding the consequence of choosing so. Therefore, what the website says is consistent with the possibility that a person chooses an in-person ceremony, and then waits for 10 years because of this choice.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I believe the official website says that if you do not want to do the test/oath online, and prefer in-person, you may choose to. But they did not say anything regarding the consequence of choosing so. Therefore, what the website says is consistent with the possibility that a person chooses an in-person ceremony, and then waits for 10 years because of this choice.
Oh, I see. Yes, they say that, but as you said, this means, if you don't want to take the virtual alternatives, you have to wait until they resume the in-person test/oath, not that you can request in-person test/oath. Huge difference.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
In the email invitation for the virtual oath ceremony, it says that you can request for an in-person ceremony, but that it will delay your timeline (not sure about how much). I also called the IRCC, and they confirmed that they resumed in-person oath a few weeks ago only for those who ask about it (in general, the ones with a justification for not being able to attend online). They anyway suggested as well to do the virtual ceremony as they are unable to say how longer I would have to wait if I decided to go with an in-person oath.

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Just to let you guys know, in the end I was able to get an in-person citizenship ceremony, and I was able to become a citizen, even if that meant a few months of delays. I was partially able to catch up on the delay as I got the certificate on the day of the ceremony, so no need to wait for weeks for it.
I'm not sure if now, with the raise of Covid cases due to the Omicron variant, they will plan any anytime soon other in-person ceremonies for those (like me) who had troubles attending online. I did insist in asking just because I had troubles attending from my place and in the past months it looked like the situation with Covid was getting better and better and I was available to wait a few months, but with the current situation I don't know if IRCC is still able to plan in-person ceremonies any time soon for whoever is not able to attend online. I was worried till last minute they could cancel mine, but luckily they didn't. :)