+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land vs Out-land for Spouse Sponsorship?

altcome

Aug 4, 2022
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before. I'm planning to sponsor my wife (we got married in Canada) and she currently has a Visitor Visa. She can come to Canada any time and stay for up to 6 months. Do I sponsor her via in-land or out-land application? Any pros and cons for either options? Thanks in advance for any help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before. I'm planning to sponsor my wife (we got married in Canada) and she currently has a Visitor Visa. She can come to Canada any time and stay for up to 6 months. Do I sponsor her via in-land or out-land application? Any pros and cons for either options? Thanks in advance for any help.
One of the considerations is whether she want to travel outside Canada during the process. If yes, then outland. Otherwise, inland.

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Depends on your situation, but inland is faster so i recommend going Inland especially if you have TRV already. And you can apply for OWP on inland as well.

altcome

Aug 4, 2022
One of the considerations is whether she want to travel outside Canada during the process. If yes, then outland. Otherwise, inland.
Thanks for the reply! Can she travel after the AOR is received, or does she have to be in Canada till a decision has been made?

Master5678

Star Member
May 11, 2023
Can she travel at any point during the application process?
"Traveling abroad while an inland sponsorship application is being processed is permitted, however, it is not recommended. In the event the sponsored person is denied re-entry into Canada for whatever reason, their sponsorship application may be deemed abandoned." That pretty much sums it up. Took it from a Immigration lawyers website

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply! Can she travel after the AOR is received, or does she have to be in Canada till a decision has been made?
If she's going to do a single short trip, probably fine. If much more travel - do outland. That's the point of outland.

Inland is intended for those living in Canada.

Because when the final decision comes down, she should be in Canada. Those who've stayed out longer when final decision came and been stuck - big problems and had to start over.

If you're stuck outside Canada for whatever reason - including having a valid visa and not being let back in at the border (however rare that might be) - it's considered abandoned. No appeal possible.

Reactions: altcome and YVR123