+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-Canada vs Border Landing

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I received my confirmation of permanent residence yesterday (yay!) and since I applied in Canada and don't need a travel visa (am from the US), I have the option of landing in Canada or waiting until I leave and come back.

My question: Does anyone know how long it takes to get a landing appointment in Toronto? I have a trip already planned for the end of February and am debating whether to try booking an appointment sooner or just wait until then.

Sub question: Does anyone know if landing in-Canada before the trip could render me ineligible to travel until I get my PR card? Note the thing about not needing a visa, plus I have BOWP that's valid for a year, so I feel like I'd be fine, but just curious.

Also, if anyone has any questions about my application experience then I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
Tom

ashcanada

Jan 7, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2014
AOR Received.
01-01-2015
Med's Request
01-04-2016
Passport Req..
14-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2016
LANDED..........
28-11-2016
Tom1144 said:
Hi everyone,

I received my confirmation of permanent residence yesterday (yay!) and since I applied in Canada and don't need a travel visa (am from the US), I have the option of landing in Canada or waiting until I leave and come back.

My question: Does anyone know how long it takes to get a landing appointment in Toronto? I have a trip already planned for the end of February and am debating whether to try booking an appointment sooner or just wait until then.

Sub question: Does anyone know if landing in-Canada before the trip could render me ineligible to travel until I get my PR card? Note the thing about not needing a visa, plus I have BOWP that's valid for a year, so I feel like I'd be fine, but just curious.

Also, if anyone has any questions about my application experience then I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
Tom
generally appointment takes time. when i called CIC , they said 2 weeks to call you and another 2 weeks for appointment ,thats in alberta. toronto may have their own timing.
but in your case,i dont think so you should do in-land landing since you have trip planned in Feb because you are not going to get PR card by then and landing means , they take away your work permits/cancel your visa/BOWP everything so unless you get PR card , you can not travel or you need to request for emergency visa or PR travel document if you need to go outside canada and come back.

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Thanks for this info.
So, about not being able to travel, is that true even if you come from a country that doesn't require a visa?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Tom1144 said:
Thanks for this info.
So, about not being able to travel, is that true even if you come from a country that doesn't require a visa?
As PR if you're flying back to Canada you need PR card or apply for PR Travel Documents abroad. This is an official requirement that, supposedly, the airlines have to check and can deny flying with not docs.

But if you don't have the documents and the airline didn't check it (possible because you're from a visa exempt country), you could enter Canada with COPR and Passport (I'm not 100% positive but I think so)

However it could not be worthy the risk losing the flight. You can apply in US for PRTD, but it could need some time.

There's a exception, if you're crossing the US/CA border walking or using a private/rented car, then COPR is enough (that's the reason I guess if you're able to come flying the COPR should be enough)

Let say PR card or eTA is something the airline/bus/train/boat should ask for to be sure you won't be rejected at the border (the company have to pay the flight back)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Tom1144 said:
Thanks for this info.
It's not that you can't travel, but you cannot board a return flight to Canada without either the PR card or the Permanent resident travel document -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

Depending on the visa office serving the area where you travel to, it can take an absurdly long time to get the travel document. So in reality, it can be a bad idea to travel until you get your PR card.

If you DRIVE to the USA, and return by car, you can re-enter with your COPR.