+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada on work permit and applying for Family sponsorship

tempr

Jan 6, 2010
Hi

I got married to a Canadian citizen last year August. I subsequently applied for a work permit which I received and am currently working in Canada. As part of the working permit application, I obtained a police clearance as well as went for medical examinations.

I am now applying for perminant residenship in Canada (family sponsorship) from within Canada.

1. Do I need to submit a police clearance certificate and go for medical examiniations again - as I did it for my work permit less than 6 months ago

2. Will it be the easiest to apply for family sponsorship immegration from within Canada as I am working here, or will it be faster to apply outside Canada (South Africa).

Thanks
tempr

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Not sure, but I believe you do. Police certificates are only valid for 3 months, so you definitely need those again.
2. Outland is almost always faster. You can apply for outland processing even if you are inside Canada. If your work permit is for at least a year you can even have it processed in Buffalo, which is one of the faster offices. This is what I did.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
is it really required to obtain a police certificate again if one has never been to that country again after the date that certificate was issued?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be honest, I'm not completely sure. All I can go by is what's on the website, which states that the certificates have to be no more than 3 months old when received by CIC. It might be in their manuals somewhere, though.

Suin said:
is it really required to obtain a police certificate again if one has never been to that country again after the date that certificate was issued?

changa1978

Jun 16, 2009
Montreal Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-09-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
12-03-2010
Passport Req..
08-11-2010
Karlshammar said:
1. Not sure, but I believe you do. Police certificates are only valid for 3 months, so you definitely need those again.
2. Outland is almost always faster. You can apply for outland processing even if you are inside Canada. If your work permit is for at least a year you can even have it processed in Buffalo, which is one of the faster offices. This is what I did.
Hi Karlshammer, just a question on part 2 of your post, had you already been in Canada for over a year before applying??

My situation is similar to the OP except I already had a 2 year working visa when my wife and I returned in Canada in April 2009. We married in August and I am now waiting till April this year to do the app thru Buffalo. It says on their website that you have to be in Canada for at least a year before doing this application (outland - applicant living in Canada).

On another note to this question, does anybody know if you can take a holiday from Canada after the one year timeframe has expired? I want to go to see my friends marriage in Poland 2 weeks after my year in canada anniversary has passed. It is only for 10 days but I want to make certain before booking plane tickets. I know there would not be an issue if my wife was coming, but she will be 32 weeks pregnant and maybe wont be able to travel.

Would this have an impact on my application?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

No, you don't have to be in Canada for a year to apply through Buffalo; you have to be admitted for at least a year, meaning, if you have a work permit for a year or more you are eligible to apply through Buffalo as soon as you enter Canada. So you can go ahead and apply through Buffalo today. :)

If you are applying outland there is no negative impact on your application if you leave the country, however, there is no guarantee of getting back into the country. Your wife going or not won't make a difference.

R

rodaxai

hello guys... im just new here at forum... could you please help me and lend me some informations please? please???

i just wanna let know if i could possibly sponsor my husband in philippines eventhough im still under working permit???

is that possible? or what advice you'll give me for the possible ways we could be together as soon as possible??

please help... thank you!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only PRs and Canadian citizens can sponsor.

rodaxai said:
hello guys... im just new here at forum... could you please help me and lend me some informations please? please???

i just wanna let know if i could possibly sponsor my husband in philippines eventhough im still under working permit???

is that possible? or what advice you'll give me for the possible ways we could be together as soon as possible??

please help... thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not sponsor your husband while you yourself are on a work permit but if you are on a skilled work permit, your husband may qualify for an open work permit as your spouse. If you are on a low skilled permit, then he would have to get his own job offer and own work permit if he wants to join you.

R

rodaxai

thank you guys for the quick reply...

so, there's no way i could sponsor him? im a live in caregiver here... :-(

durianfruit604

Star Member
Jan 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC SINGAPORE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2009
File Transfer...
30-12-2009
Med's Done....
09-11-2009
tempr mentioned that he is married to a Canadian Citizen folks. he wanted if he should or can be sponsored inland or outland? Which process is better for him.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I answered this question in the second post of this thread. ;)

durianfruit604 said:
tempr mentioned that he is married to a Canadian Citizen folks. he wanted if he should or can be sponsored inland or outland? Which process is better for him.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rodaxai said:
thank you guys for the quick reply...

so, there's no way i could sponsor him? im a live in caregiver here... :-(
No, as a live in caregiver, you live with the family you work for. You have no right to bring your family with you. He can apply for a visa to come to Canada to visit you and when you apply for your PR, you apply for him too.