+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada now, need to change status at US Border

subinense

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I'm inadmissible to the US, according to them, I overstayed. They took my visitor's visa away and told me to file for a Waiver of inadmissibility.

I have a work permit in Canada, but soon will be getting my PR. Can I still go to the border to change my status to enter as PR ? Will it hurt my inadmissibility process if I show up there without a Visa and being Inadmissible, even if I tell them I have no intention of entering the US, all I want is change my immigration status in Canada ?

Please, help!

Thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can land at an office inside of Canada if you do not want to go near the US border :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you need to be very careful how you go about this. If you are inadmissible to the US and attempt to enter before the inadmissibility issue is resolved - this increases the length of time you are inadmissible for.

Now I know you don't really want to enter the US. However there's always a chance you could run into an over zealous US immigration official who takes things the wrong way and thinks you're lying - and you could be in a heap more trouble than you are now.

So I think the key question is: Can you exit Canada and then re-enter Canada without actually having to go to or speak with anyone at the US border? In other words, can you exit Canada and then just u-turn back and re-enter? Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience and can't help. However hopefully someone else will be able to answer.

Another option would be to book a landing within Canada. I understand the wait for an appointment can be several weeks (maybe even a couple of months?). But this might end up being a safer option.

Hope this helps.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A recent post here suggested that an inland appointment was only a one week delay, I cannot remember the location.

I would suggest that you contact the call centre and ask how long you would have to wait for a "landing" appointment.

subinense

Jul 18, 2011
I had no idea I could land at my local CIC here in Montreal. Thank you so much. I'm already getting the info. Even if it takes a couple of weeks or a month, better than going to the border or paying 500$ to go to Cancun and back (with I had the time and money to stay for a weekend there though, hehe)