+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada as a visitor - best route for CL / Spousal sponsorhsip

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hello everybody,

I was in Canada on an IEC (Working Holiday Visa). During that stay, I entered a relationship with a Canadian woman. Shortly before my visa ran out, I left the country for about 3,5 weeks and then came back. I am on a 6 months visitors visa now, which is running out soon.

My question now is, what is the best route in order to stay here?

1. Should I file for an extension of my visitors visa to buy us some time? (or leave the country and come back again)
2. Should I plan for getting married and then take the spousal sponsorship route?

According to what I know right now, I cannot fulfil all the requirements for a Common Law sponsorhsip. We haven't lived together completely and we would have to work on building a more proper paper trail.

I am really confused right now and also scared. Thanks for your help guys,

Phil

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can apply for an extension of the visitor visa (or visitor status) that you have now. Apply about one month before it ends. If you do not need a visa to enter Canada, you could just leave the country and reenter.

What country are you from?

To apply to be sponsored as a common-law partner, you need proof that you have lived together for 12 continuous months. If you don't have that, start gathering proof from now on. A joint lease is the best proof, with utilities in both names (or some bills in your name, some in your partner's name, coming to the same address). These things should cover a year.

If you get married, you do not have to prove you lived together. For common-law, you have to prove two things: the 12 months of cohabitation, and that your relationship is genuine. If you are married, you have to prove the relationship is genuine.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi there,

I am from Germany. Extending my status as a visitor sounds like an option.

However, my fear is, due to the fact that I have already stayed quite a while in Canada on my previous visas, I might raise some red flags when applying for the extension. Or do you think, argueing that I want to use that time to establish the groundwork for Common Law, would be a good enough reason.

Unfortunately, if they ask what my ties back home to Germany are, I have not very much with substance to bring forward.

Thanks so much. Philipp

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Philigran said:
Hi there,

I am from Germany. Extending my status as a visitor sounds like an option.

However, my fear is, due to the fact that I have already stayed quite a while in Canada on my previous visas, I might raise some red flags when applying for the extension. Or do you think, argueing that I want to use that time to establish the groundwork for Common Law, would be a good enough reason.

Unfortunately, if they ask what my ties back home to Germany are, I have not very much with substance to bring forward.

Thanks so much. Philipp
there are many people who are approved for 12+ month extensions who show proof they are working to establish commonlaw to be able to apply for PR. no one is going to be able to tell you 100% what will happen as every application is unique. the only way to know is to apply.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, wanting to become common-law is an adequate reason to extend your stay. Lots of people on this forum have got an extension for this reason.