+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In a bit of a dillemma, need your advice guys

byteplayer

Oct 13, 2019
Hey guys so a little back story to let you guys know about me.

My family is based in the UAE. My wife and son are canadian citizens, I am a pakistani national who is part of a successful business in the UAE.

I was born and brought up in UAE, and as you all know UAE does not grant citizenship's like that. I have close to zero ties to my origin country (Pakistan) and fear that god forbid if things go south in UAE for me, my fall back is only Pakistan. And i know that i cannot simply survive in Pakistan, its tough for someone who isn't street smart (like me).

Here is where my dilemma arises

Do i as a husband need to secure my citizenship as soon as possible? Or should i wait when things go south in the UAE (hopefully not) and then move to Canada on a PR/Visit Visa and hopefully find some work?

I am really confused as to what is the best approach for me. Really would appreciate your opinions guys.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It depends on when you want to move to Canada. If you apply for PR now but do not move, you will eventually run into residency obligations issues. If you wait, it may take a year or more for PR.

You cannot obtain citizenship without first being a PR and then being physically present in Canada for three years.

byteplayer

Oct 13, 2019
It depends on when you want to move to Canada. If you apply for PR now but do not move, you will eventually run into residency obligations issues. If you wait, it may take a year or more for PR.

You cannot obtain citizenship without first being a PR and then being physically present in Canada for three years.
Hi, yes i am aware of PR and the three years. I am asking if it if you guys recommend me to do it now? is it easier to get jobs while on just a PR , or does a citizenship act as an added bonus in canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys so a little back story to let you guys know about me.

My family is based in the UAE. My wife and son are canadian citizens, I am a pakistani national who is part of a successful business in the UAE.

I was born and brought up in UAE, and as you all know UAE does not grant citizenship's like that. I have close to zero ties to my origin country (Pakistan) and fear that god forbid if things go south in UAE for me, my fall back is only Pakistan. And i know that i cannot simply survive in Pakistan, its tough for someone who isn't street smart (like me).

Here is where my dilemma arises

Do i as a husband need to secure my citizenship as soon as possible? Or should i wait when things go south in the UAE (hopefully not) and then move to Canada on a PR/Visit Visa and hopefully find some work?

I am really confused as to what is the best approach for me. Really would appreciate your opinions guys.
Hi, yes i am aware of PR and the three years. I am asking if it if you guys recommend me to do it now? is it easier to get jobs while on just a PR , or does a citizenship act as an added bonus in canada?
You are essentially asking people to make life decisions for you. No one here knows what is best for you.

Note that if your wife lives abroad with you, she will have to prove that she will return to Canada as soon as the sponsorship app is approved.

Citizenship is not a "bonus" for applying for jobs. The only real difference is that some government positions require citizenship.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You cannot get citizenship without PR. I'm not sure if I wasn't clear about that earlier.