+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In 1 year 2 semesters or 3 semesters

AKSHAYCHAUHAN181

Aug 31, 2018
Hey everyone,
I got my LOA from Algonquin college,
I admited into 3 year cousre that is going to end on 30 December 2021 and starting this summer.
The term plan states that I have 3 semesters back to back without any break in between those that is like
1st sem. Spring to fall starts on 06 may 2019
2nd sen. Fall to winter
3rd sem. Winter to spring
3rd semester will end on 20 April 2020.

Now my LOA states that i have to pay fee for 1 year as per sds rules that is ok with me but i have a concern whether i am paying for 3 sems as 06 may to 20 April come under 1 year or
2 semesters as per Canadian academic year

This is creating confusion in my head can anyone clear me with the doubt it will be really thankful

Jass_

Feb 24, 2019
Hii Akshay,

In canada, one academic year is equal to 8 months i.e. two semesters. Therefore, you are paying fee for two semesters.

Bir96_singh

Apr 9, 2019
Hey everyone,
I got my LOA from Algonquin college,
I admited into 3 year cousre that is going to end on 30 December 2021 and starting this summer.
The term plan states that I have 3 semesters back to back without any break in between those that is like
1st sem. Spring to fall starts on 06 may 2019
2nd sen. Fall to winter
3rd sem. Winter to spring
3rd semester will end on 20 April 2020.

Now my LOA states that i have to pay fee for 1 year as per sds rules that is ok with me but i have a concern whether i am paying for 3 sems as 06 may to 20 April come under 1 year or
2 semesters as per Canadian academic year

This is creating confusion in my head can anyone clear me with the doubt it will be really thankful
Hi akshay,
I also have the same doubt as in my university academic year consist of 3 semesters. So, to file the study permit under SDS will it be sufficient to pay the tuition of 2 semester or i have to pay fees of 3 semester
Please reply

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi akshay,
I also have the same doubt as in my university academic year consist of 3 semesters. So, to file the study permit under SDS will it be sufficient to pay the tuition of 2 semester or i have to pay fees of 3 semester
Please reply
If you have 3 semesters per calender year then you have to pay for 3 semesters. If you have two semesters per calender year then you only pay for two semesters.

Bir96_singh

Apr 9, 2019
If you have 3 semesters per calender year then you have to pay for 3 semesters. If you have two semesters per calender year then you only pay for two semesters.
But according to canadian norms 2 semester=8 months is considered as 1 year.
Its creating a lot of confusion. Because of this i have to pay 25000$ to file study permit in SDS which is alot.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
But according to canadian norms 2 semester=8 months is considered as 1 year.
Its creating a lot of confusion. Because of this i have to pay 25000$ to file study permit in SDS which is alot.
There is no such thing as Canadian norms, you have to follow the rules that your college/ university says. If you have doubts, then you can contact your respective college/university for clarity. SDS asks for 1 year of tuition fees, it's does not specify how many semesters. If you are having 9 semesters which is split into 3 semesters per year, then you will have to pay for 3 semesters. Other option is to only pay one semester's fees and get GIC and apply in general category.

Bir96_singh

Apr 9, 2019
There is no such thing as Canadian norms, you have to follow the rules that your college/ university says. If you have doubts, then you can contact your respective college/university for clarity. SDS asks for 1 year of tuition fees, it's does not specify how many semesters. If you are having 9 semesters which is split into 3 semesters per year, then you will have to pay for 3 semesters. Other option is to only pay one semester's fees and get GIC and apply in general category.
Actually mine is a master's degree and i have contacted university about it and they say most students complete it in 16 months i.e. 4 semester so, in order to file in SDS i have to pay 3/4 th part of my fees first , it doesn't make any sense as most of my friends who are doing masters paid the tuition of 2 semesters. I also got to know about university checklist category in which i can apply do you know anything about it?
Please reply

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Actually mine is a master's degree and i have contacted university about it and they say most students complete it in 16 months i.e. 4 semester so, in order to file in SDS i have to pay 3/4 th part of my fees first , it doesn't make any sense as most of my friends who are doing masters paid the tuition of 2 semesters. I also got to know about university checklist category in which i can apply do you know anything about it?
Please reply
If you are doing masters and you can complete it faster, then it's better to go for the University category. You can find the checklist on the Canada.ca website. The requirements are not as much as the general category.

AKSHAYCHAUHAN181

Aug 31, 2018
U will be paying a deposit of ur tuition fee that ia mentioned in ur offer letter.
Take a break down of ur per sem fee from institute website.
U will be paying only for 2 sem.
In my case i have 3 sem in a year but i only paid 16k that is fee for 2 sem.

rsengar3

Jul 17, 2020
U will be paying a deposit of ur tuition fee that ia mentioned in ur offer letter.
Take a break down of ur per sem fee from institute website.
U will be paying only for 2 sem.
In my case i have 3 sem in a year but i only paid 16k that is fee for 2 sem.
So bro did you got your visa in SDS category?? By paying only 2 sem fees .. I am also having same concern