+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing Vehicle to Canada and re- exporting to US

raindropcreature

Feb 25, 2020
Anyone here with experience importing a car into Canada as a PR then later needing to re-export it back to the US? I have a car I'm planning to give to family in the US after I buy a new car once I move to Canada, but it looks like I won't be able to settle and find a vehicle quickly enough that I never have to register the car in Canada. Would I end up getting double taxed or is there a way to temporarily not export the vehicle into Canada but still drive around with my US plates?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Anyone here with experience importing a car into Canada as a PR then later needing to re-export it back to the US? I have a car I'm planning to give to family in the US after I buy a new car once I move to Canada, but it looks like I won't be able to settle and find a vehicle quickly enough that I never have to register the car in Canada. Would I end up getting double taxed or is there a way to temporarily not export the vehicle into Canada but still drive around with my US plates?
I exported a car from the US and imported it back into US a couple years later. From what I recall, the process for bringing it back to US was very easy… seemed like a couple minutes at the border. I don’t recall paying any taxes or even notable fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: raindropcreature