+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing vehicle and change of status from temporary to PR

bluedot

Jun 6, 2015
I have lived in Canada for two years as temporary worker and finally received my CoPR form :D
But my question is, what do I have to do with my car now? Currently it still has a US title. Since my status was only temporary I didn't need to do the full importation procedure and most importantly was exempted from the import tax.
I guess I have to pay the tax now, when I go to my landing appointment??? Or do I have time until the end of my temporary work permit?

Second, somewhat related question:
My car is actually Canadian. I bought it used and the previous owner had it imported from Canada to the US. Any idea, whether that would save me the tax?

Edit::Ups, maybe I should have posted this topic under settlement issues. Don't know how to move this thread.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
bluedot said:
I have lived in Canada for two years as temporary worker and finally received my CoPR form :D
But my question is, what do I have to do with my car now? Currently it still has a US title. Since my status was only temporary I didn't need to do the full importation procedure and most importantly was exempted from the import tax.
I guess I have to pay the tax now, when I go to my landing appointment??? Or do I have time until the end of my temporary work permit?

Second, somewhat related question:
My car is actually Canadian. I bought it used and the previous owner had it imported from Canada to the US. Any idea, whether that would save me the tax?

Edit::Ups, maybe I should have posted this topic under settlement issues. Don't know how to move this thread.
Because the car was exported from Canada into the US, you will need to now export it from the US to Canada. You will list the car on a B4 form so when you land you can have it as part of your belongings and it will be tax exempt. There are some new rules relating to exporting cars from the US so you'll want to check those out with the CBP. Importing it to Canada is actually the easy part.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Alurra71 said:
Because the car was exported from Canada into the US, you will need to now export it from the US to Canada. You will list the car on a B4 form so when you land you can have it as part of your belongings and it will be tax exempt. There are some new rules relating to exporting cars from the US so you'll want to check those out with the CBP. Importing it to Canada is actually the easy part.
1. You need to export from the US. See: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Exporting%20Vehicles%20From%20the%20United%20States%20%28Census%20Bureau%29%20.pdf
2. The title has to be faxed to the US Customs export office 72 hours in advance.
3. Then you have to import to Canada www.riv.ca