+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing prescription meds into Canada

Mangomanager

Nov 19, 2021
Hi good people,

I am pondering a move to Canada but scared due to the humongous medicine costs over there. There's one medicine for cancer ( I am in remission currently) that I take regularly. Its pirced almost 70x in Canada compared to India, even with 80% insurance (which will be very costly), its still coming to 20x.
However, some folks that I interacted with have told me that they are able to import meds from other countries. Does Canada allow importing of prescription meds, if so - what are the taxes levied.
Can someone please guide me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi good people,

I am pondering a move to Canada but scared due to the humongous medicine costs over there. There's one medicine for cancer ( I am in remission currently) that I take regularly. Its pirced almost 70x in Canada compared to India, even with 80% insurance (which will be very costly), its still coming to 20x.
However, some folks that I interacted with have told me that they are able to import meds from other countries. Does Canada allow importing of prescription meds, if so - what are the taxes levied.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html

Read through the document. Usually you can bring in 3 month supply and then you must have it prescribed through your family doctor in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi good people,

As said above, you can bring up to a 90 day supply of your medication when you travel to Canada. The rest you will have to buy in Canada and cannot import.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi good people,

Will you pass medical inadmissibility if your drug costs are so high?