+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing my car from US to Canada

canworker

Aug 5, 2014
I am planning to import my car from US to Canada.
I am referring this :----

http://blog.pcb.ca/2013/08/9-steps-to-importing-a-vehicle-into-canada-from-the-u-s/5134

Can anyone who imported recently please let me know if this blog/steps suffice or is there anything more to it?

Do we really need a broker to facilitate the export & import process?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, that looks like a decent breakdown of the process. the only reason a broker is needed is to create the AES file and documents, otherwise everything can be done by the owner. there are companies that will initiate the process for you for a nominal fee. a broker is not going to be helpful beyond this point, since it is the owner who has to do all the legwork. Keep in mind, the inspection will not happen until AFTER the car has crossed the border and the RIV fee is paid. In Ontario, only Canadian Tire locations were designated to do this check. When I called a dealer, they had no clue about the process or aftermarket daytime running lights installation. When I imported, the RIV website had a search function to find the closest authorized inspection place.

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
I literally just did this last week when I landed from the US.

Here's what I can tell you:

1) Don't stress it, it is far easier than you imagine for the paperwork itself.

2) Just be prepared financially for two things, if your vehicle is less than 15 years old there is an RIV fee, then here in Manitoba there is the provincial safety inspection. I was absolutely shocked when I had to pay $600 out of pocket for brake pads, daytime running lights, etc. So just be sure to have some cash to take care of things and expect costs to be an issue if your car needs a few items updated. HOWEVER, if you are bringing your car as part of a permanent resident landing - the taxes are free, you pay nothing. And I think there is zero tax if you are importing a car you already own. So that is a savings. I happened to import a vehicle just over 15 years of age, so I avoided the RIV fee and inspection, but it didn't make provincial safety checks easier.

Here's what you'll want to do, make sure you do the RIV forms online, print them off, and have them ready before hitting the border. It makes things so simple, it literally will cut down an hour's worth of paperwork at the border.

Also, if you are a US resident, the hardest part to the export is this asinine test they require you to take on the AES/Census site before you can register as your own exporter. I spent 30 minutes on that thing and it was annoying, but its honestly the hardest part of the entire export. You don't need a broker if you are a US resident; however, if you don't have US residency/citizenship like I do, you may have to use a broker.

Also, be sure you send the documents to the US border at least 3 days ahead of time, then call them to ask where you arrive without having to go through the border. Usually there is a parking lot you stop at on the way out and can enter the border services building. It takes them all of 5-10 minutes to just stamp your US title and you're done.

Hope this helps!

canworker

Aug 5, 2014
Thank you for the details! Highly appreciated.

1. Can you please refer the broker used? I am a non-US resident too.

2. I found this link which charges a fee for the AES purpose
http://www.autoexports.us/Index

Please let me know if you have an idea if this is a broker facility too?

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
I didn't use a broker, I am a US Citizen and just created my own AES profile with my IRS EIN that was created, so I don't have any advice unfortunately.

Caribou

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canworker said:
Thank you for the details! Highly appreciated.

1. Can you please refer the broker used? I am a non-US resident too.

2. I found this link which charges a fee for the AES purpose
http://www.autoexports.us/Index

Please let me know if you have an idea if this is a broker facility too?
hi
after going through aes website, I got a headache :mad:
So, I used http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ for 35 dollars.
got the response on the same day. No problem at the border.

I think the most stressful part was to get ein number and actually submitting paperwork at US border 72 hr prior to crossing. (Plus, waiting at the border because the person in front of us was importing 2 cars and had issues with their paperwork)

We didn't even filled out RIV forms ahead because I had some questions about it, so we filled it at the border after getting some answers from officers. Wait wasn't horrible, either.

We are at the inspection stage now, and PLEASE take care of day time running light. We failed inspection because the car had DRL "OFF" switch. why the heck would a person turn it OFF?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Caribou said:
We are at the inspection stage now, and PLEASE take care of day time running light. We failed inspection because the car had DRL "OFF" switch. why the heck would a person turn it OFF?
because it is not a safety requirement for cars in the US so most if not all us cars will not have them "on" since i'm assuming it's done at the manufacturing stage.

maddymaddy

Feb 23, 2017
hi
after going through aes website, I got a headache :mad:
So, I used http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/ for 35 dollars.
got the response on the same day. No problem at the border.

I think the most stressful part was to get ein number and actually submitting paperwork at US border 72 hr prior to crossing. (Plus, waiting at the border because the person in front of us was importing 2 cars and had issues with their paperwork)

We didn't even filled out RIV forms ahead because I had some questions about it, so we filled it at the border after getting some answers from officers. Wait wasn't horrible, either.

Hi @Caribou, how did you get this DRL modification done?