+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing car to Canada from US (no bill of sale)

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Hello everyone, I have been granted permanent residency and will be leaving with my fiance in a few weeks (third week of March). We have cars which we want to bring with us into Canada. One is on my name and the other is on her name. We have the title from the USA for both cars but we do no have a bill of sale. Everywhere I see it says that we need a bill of sale together with the vehicle's title. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone imported a car into Canada without a bill of sale? I am in the process getting Internal Transit Number and the same questions apply regarding not having a bill of sale. Any information regarding this will be appreciated.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Hello everyone, I have been granted permanent residency and will be leaving with my fiance in a few weeks (third week of March). We have cars which we want to bring with us into Canada. One is on my name and the other is on her name. We have the title from the USA for both cars but we do no have a bill of sale. Everywhere I see it says that we need a bill of sale together with the vehicle's title. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone imported a car into Canada without a bill of sale? I am in the process getting Internal Transit Number and the same questions apply regarding not having a bill of sale. Any information regarding this will be appreciated.
We are moving in second week of March so I have been doing my research too. Isn't bill of sale needed for cars without a title yet? Bill of sale is usually a document that could be useful when cops pull you over after you bought a car usually from a private party and before you got the chance to register at the DMV.

I'm going to import two cars and so far in my research never heard of bill of sale being needed to export/import a car. If the title holder is travelling, you don't need the bill of sale.

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
We are moving in second week of March so I have been doing my research too. Isn't bill of sale needed for cars without a title yet? Bill of sale is usually a document that could be useful when cops pull you over after you bought a car usually from a private party and before you got the chance to register at the DMV.

I'm going to import two cars and so far in my research never heard of bill of sale being needed to export/import a car. If the title holder is travelling, you don't need the bill of sale.
That's great to hear. Have you obtained your internal transit number (ITN) ?

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
That's great to hear. Have you obtained your internal transit number (ITN) ?
Hey... no, not yet. Will start the process today. I don't have a hard date on when to make the move to Canada, so I'm kind of procrastinating at the moment. My daughter's U.S. passport is in renewal right now, so need to wait until we get it back anyway. How long does it take to get the ITN?

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Hey... no, not yet. Will start the process today. I don't have a hard date on when to make the move to Canada, so I'm kind of procrastinating at the moment. My daughter's U.S. passport is in renewal right now, so need to wait until we get it back anyway. How long does it take to get the ITN?
I am using a service to get the ITN since I am short of time and when I tried doing it by myself it seemed a little too much work and didn't want to run the risk of getting something wrong and only finding it out at the border. The service I am using said that it would take 1-2 days to get your own ITN and that ITN would be going for maximum of 10 days after the 72 hrs period. I found this service after doing some research online. The website is http://www.autoimportusa.com/ . Please note that I have no affiliation with this website; I am using it after looking online and finding good reviews about it. They said it would be $150 to get your own ITN.

Reactions: greencard14

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
I am using a service to get the ITN since I am short of time and when I tried doing it by myself it seemed a little too much work and didn't want to run the risk of getting something wrong and only finding it out at the border. The service I am using said that it would take 1-2 days to get your own ITN and that ITN would be going for maximum of 10 days after the 72 hrs period. I found this service after doing some research online. The website is http://www.autoimportusa.com/ . Please note that I have no affiliation with this website; I am using it after looking online and finding good reviews about it. They said it would be $150 to get your own ITN.
Just wanted to update how everything went at the US border. The service I used worked well. They gave me proper instructions on what to do when arriving at the border and where I would find the exact location of the exporting office. When I arrived at the exporting office the custom officer asked me for my title, ITN and passport. When looking at my passport he asked if I was leaving the United States permanently and if so had I filed all the necessary paperwork. I answered yes to both questions then he told me to go outside and wait inside my car. About 10 minutes after, another officer brought my title with an exporting stamp on it and I was off to Canada.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY