Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
Hi, fixing to land first of August, and NOT bringing my vehicle the first go around. I will be adding it to my Goods to Follow, but was wondering how long do I have to import the vehicle, as it might be a year or so depending on the next time I will be down in Texas.

If I do not get the vehicle up in time, how do you figure the taxes on a vehicle?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
Hey Ravcat.... Now that we're DM's, we're probably going to find our answers from now on out, in the Settlement forum.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/settlement-issues-b14.0/

I do know, you have to list your vehicle on your goods to follow form. From there you only have 90 days to import the vehicle. As for taking a year, I'm not exactly sure how that would work....

Settlers don't pay duty on their vehicles. As for taxes, that might have to be paid when you register the vehicle. That would probably be province specific.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ravcat said:
Hi, fixing to land first of August, and NOT bringing my vehicle the first go around. I will be adding it to my Goods to Follow, but was wondering how long do I have to import the vehicle, as it might be a year or so depending on the next time I will be down in Texas.

If I do not get the vehicle up in time, how do you figure the taxes on a vehicle?
As long as you declare goods upfront and they are on your Goods to Follow list (B4A), there is no time limit to import them. If you are a settler and you declare the items on your Personal Effects Accounting Documents (B4/B4A), there would be neither taxes nor duties due on the vehicle when you import it. However, you would have to pay the RIV fees (if you are importing from the US) and for any modifications required for your vehicle (e.g., daytime running lights).

Take a look at CBSA's "Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada" at http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html for further details.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saria1 said:
Hey Ravcat.... Now that we're DM's, we're probably going to find our answers from now on out, in the Settlement forum.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/settlement-issues-b14.0/

I do know, you have to list your vehicle on your goods to follow form. From there you only have 90 days to import the vehicle. As for taking a year, I'm not exactly sure how that would work....

Settlers don't pay duty on their vehicles. As for taxes, that might have to be paid when you register the vehicle. That would probably be province specific.
The 45 days to complete the federal inspection only start after the vehicle is imported into into Canada.

Code:
How long does the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) registration, inspection and certification process take?

Importers have 45 days from the date of import for their vehicle to pass the RIV inspection process. Once the RIV Import Form – Form 1 has been completed at the border, recall clearance documentation has been provided to RIV and full payment has been received, importers normally receive the RIV inspection form within 10 days by mail. If a valid e-mail address is provided, the RIV inspection form can be sent by e-mail the same day that it is processed rather than mailed.

Use Track Your Case to see if payment or vehicle documentation has been received and processed. You can also print your vehicle’s RIV inspection form once the appropriate conditions have been met.

Once a vehicle passes inspection, a Canadian Statement of Compliance (SOC) label will be sent by regular mail to the importer of record.
Source: http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx

So, the OP could list his car on his B4/B4-A as part of goods to follow, go pick it up a year later, drive it up to the Canadian border at that time, export it from the US, import it into Canada, and then complete the inspection process (managed by the RIV) in the next 45 days, and register the vehicle.

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
Thank you guys, that gave me a lot of information to go on! :)

bkranwinkel

Dec 8, 2010
hello to all, one question, when I describe my car information in the goods to follow list, do I need to provide the copy of the title?

Thanks