+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing car and household goods from US after being temporary resident(closed work permit) in Canada

Shail_IndoCan

Feb 6, 2020
I have a unique situation and need urgent advice.

I moved to Canada on a closed work permit from USA in Feb 2019. I was working and residing in US for 6 years from 2012-2019 on H1B. My wife is currently on H1B visa in US and holds a valid Canadian visitor visa.

I am currently visiting my wife in USA and our Canadian PR is applied and progress is stuck because we both are outside Canada right now.

We both are planning to move my household stuff and car from USA to Canada next month via the road border (goods to follow via shipping company). Me on work permit/TRV visa and my wife will accompany me on visitor visa.

So my query is considering the fact that I am temporarily residing in Canada since Feb 2019 and my wife has been visiting me from US now and again(for few week at a stretch on visitor visa) :

1. Will I be allowed to import my car(owned since 2016) and our household stuff(furniture, electronics etc worth 10-15K USD owned since 2015-2019) duty free now when I go back to Canada next month after my vacation?

2. If not, when/how can I move my car and household stuff at an earliest? We are hoping that our Canadian PR is approved when we are both present in Canada physically(me on work permit as temp resident and my wife on visitor visa). Will we have a chance to declare “Goods to follow” when our PR is approved inland so that we can import our goods later sometime from USA?

3. Will i have to pay duty and taxes?

Appreciate any info/guidance please.