+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

importing car and driving and drivers license.

bundori

Star Member
Aug 24, 2007
Can I find out about driving, drivers license and importing my vehicle from the us to canada before I am granted permanent residence?

can my in-law put me as insured in their auto policy (if i am married) and i still have a US drivers license?

I can't obviously get a canadian drivers license without being an official resident right?

Anything in relation to this topic would get some more answers cleared up for me. Thanks for answering another question.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
I'm not sure where you'll be living in Canada but this site has a fair bit of information on it http://www.justlanded.com/english/canada/tools/just_landed_guide/travel_leisure/driving.

I have read posts of people getting their Canadian licenses before PR but it varied from province to province so it is possible but it will depend on where you are going.

As for the insurance issue I would ask my in-laws to contact their insurance broker to find out if they will do it.

InnocentCat

Aug 29, 2007
I am in a somewhat simular situation. My car is registered, and has tags and a safety inspection from Texas (they expire in April 2008). How long can I drive my car in Canada without having to change to Canadian registration ? Can I drive it beyond the expiration of the U.S. tags and safety inspection ? Or since it will be in Canada will it not matter when the U. S. tags/safety inspction expire ?