+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing a car into Canada from USA

C

can205

I am in the US now. I am just waiting for my new employer to call me. I’m still not sure if I’m taking my car with me, BUT what happens if I decide to import my car at the last minute and that doesn’t give me time to submit the papers to US Customs 72 hrs prior to leaving? Do the Canadian Border Officers need to see something stamped from the US Customs, or they just don’t care and let me import the car anyway, since I have the title and have included the car on my list of goods….By the way, the car is on the acceptable Canada list...

If I don't notify the US Customs, can the Canadian Border Officers stop me from importing the car?

I know someone in Toronto who didn’t submit any papers to the US Customs and had no problem at all bringing the car into Canada.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
can205 said:
I am in the US now. I am just waiting for my new employer to call me. I'm still not sure if I'm taking my car with me, BUT what happens if I decide to import my car at the last minute and that doesn't give me time to submit the papers to US Customs 72 hrs prior to leaving? Do the Canadian Border Officers need to see something stamped from the US Customs, or they just don't care and let me import the car anyway, since I have the title and have included the car on my list of goods....By the way, the car is on the acceptable Canada list...

If I don't notify the US Customs, can the Canadian Border Officers stop me from importing the car?

I know someone in Toronto who didn't submit any papers to the US Customs and had no problem at all bringing the car into Canada.
You'd need papers from the US Customs that your vehicle has been cleared, which means you need to submit to papers to the border you intend to cross at least 72hrs ahead. I do not know how your friend did it, but the way both agencies work, it's almost impossible...I say "almost", because you said your friend did it. You can drive you car into Canada and import it at a later date...you do not need paperwork. You'd need the papers from the Canadian Customs to register your vehicle in any province.

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
Thought of the day:

"You don't want to do anything wrong, you may get yourself in trouble for nothing."