+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important question regarding spousal PR file, spousal OWP and timeline

kapatel

Feb 4, 2016
Hello Experts,

I have a couple of question regarding spousal PR file, spousal OWP and timeline for that.

I have just got my COPR under EE and got passport stamped. Wait to finish landing.

I am planning to get married in March end of April first week. And my fiancee is living in Canada. Her OWP is going to expire in march 1st week.

Questions:

1) Should I wait to get married with her until I get my PR card?

2)Can I put PR file for her immediately after getting married (Canadian registered marriage)?

3)What is the process to apply for her OWP? And how long it takes to get OWP for her? Processing time?

4)Do I need to apply for her PR and OWP at same time?

5)If Officer asked me about my marriage plan during my landing at border, what should I tell them?

Please please provide me information or any advise.

Thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kapatel said:
1) Should I wait to get married with her until I get my PR card?

2)Can I put PR file for her immediately after getting married (Canadian registered marriage)?

3)What is the process to apply for her OWP? And how long it takes to get OWP for her? Processing time?

4)Do I need to apply for her PR and OWP at same time?

5)If Officer asked me about my marriage plan during my landing at border, what should I tell them?
Hi

Note that if you get married before you land as a PR, you must add your spouse to your current app.

1. You can get married whenever you want.

2. You need to wait for the marriage certificate.

3. The OWP app needs to be submitted with the inland PR app. It takes about 4 months.

4. You don't need to but it is advised to submit them together.

5. You won't be asked about your marriage plans.

kapatel

Feb 4, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Note that if you get married before you land as a PR, you must add your spouse to your current app.

1. You can get married whenever you want.

2. You need to wait for the marriage certificate.

3. The OWP app needs to be submitted with the inland PR app. It takes about 4 months.

4. You don't need to but it is advised to submit them together.

5. You won't be asked about your marriage plans.

Thanks for your quick response.

One more question, How long it will take to get marriage certificate after registered marriage?

Also, my fianceee's current OWP is expiring soon in March 1st week. I am planning to apply for extension as a paper application just for safe side because paper application processing time is 100 days. Can I add marriage information to existing paper application of OWP? Or I must apply new OWP application with PR application for her?

Please advise

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kapatel said:
One more question, How long it will take to get marriage certificate after registered marriage?

Also, my fianceee's current OWP is expiring soon in March 1st week. I am planning to apply for extension as a paper application just for safe side because paper application processing time is 100 days. Can I add marriage information to existing paper application of OWP? Or I must apply new OWP application with PR application for her?
Check your province for the marriage certificate processing time.

Unless she actually qualifies for a work permit extension OR you submit the PR/OWP before her current work permit expires, she will need to apply to change her status to visitor.