App. Filed.......
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2015
File Transfer...
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
03-01-2015
Hey guys. My husband is set to land here in about a month. Everything was going fine until I was browsing through the forums here and I was reading that if you still owe money on the car there's not a good chance of getting it imported. That never even occurred to me as his loan is through Kia and his loan would just transfer from the Kia in the states to the one in Canada. When I called to confirm that this was true, the guy said not only would they not okay the transfer but it's in Canada illegally because you're not allowed to cross the border when your car is not paid off. My question is, is the only option available to us is to get a loan and pay the car off? We still owe probably 18-19 thousand, so it would be a pretty big loan for us.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Broliee said:
Hey guys. My husband is set to land here in about a month. Everything was going fine until I was browsing through the forums here and I was reading that if you still owe money on the car there's not a good chance of getting it imported. That never even occurred to me as his loan is through Kia and his loan would just transfer from the Kia in the states to the one in Canada. When I called to confirm that this was true, the guy said not only would they not okay the transfer but it's in Canada illegally because you're not allowed to cross the border when your car is not paid off. My question is, is the only option available to us is to get a loan and pay the car off? We still owe probably 18-19 thousand, so it would be a pretty big loan for us.
There's little chance of exporting it with a loan on it, you have to pay it off. I understand the logic you were thinking, the same company just different country, but I guess there is more to it than that, as your name has to be on the title to export it. So, it's either a loan or sell it, or leave it in the US till you pay it off and just declare it so you don't have to pay taxes.

I did read this post though, maybe you can argue with them about it until they agree:

"I imported my car from USA to Canada.. process is very easy.. If you have loan on the Car.. Get a letter from your bank and letter should address to the US customs with the permission for import
(You need to talk to the right people in the bank and let them know your exact situation)..If the bank is not providing the letter .. then take your Car to Canada with out importing it ( you can do that ..they will not ask anything ..you just need to show your registration)
and once you are in Canada ..contact a Local bank and transfer your Loan ( payoff the US Loan)
Once you pay off get the title from your bank and then you need to go the US customs and get the import stamp on the title and show the title to the Canadian customs and they will do the documentation for import a

In my case i fought with my Bank and finally they gave the permission letter and I mailed permission letter with copy of the original title to the US customs just 72 hour before crossing the border...
Process is very easy..."