+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import car which is not listed in GTF

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
Hi All,

Need some help as I am not able to determine the outcome of my situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Here it goes:

I read some threads back in 2019. Few people said that CBSA refused to accept their GTF forms during their hard-landing few months later as "settler". They got a reply saying whenever you land to process your PR, you need to submit the GTF list then and there. So based on that, during my soft-landing, I submitted my GTF list as well and got it stamped. This happened in Nov 2019 and I came back to USA. (I am living in USA on H1B)

Now that I got a job offer, I will be flying into Toronto in last week of March 2021.

1. Can I bring in my 2009 Honda Accord into Canada? I did not include in the GTF as I was not sure if cars are classified as "goods" or as "property". If yes, then can I trade-in my old car for a new one and then enter Canada with a car I have owned for couple of weeks?

2. I went to Kansas DMV for driving history but they just handed me a printout of my most recent renewal which I did in May 2020. I have had my license since Jan 2018 but no mention of that. Is it because of my H1B status because my license says "Limited-term"?

I will be entering Canada with my PR card. The reason for below questions is that the code used by CBSA was 9807 which specifically mentions that my intention is to stay in Canada for more than 12 months which I did not complete. There is another code for returning resident 9805 who has been out of Canada for more than 12 months.

3. Will it make any difference as I was out of Canada for more than 12 months with a PR card? Will I be treated as a "Returning" resident?

4. What will happen to my GTF list that I had submitted in Nov 2019? Will it be valid or do I need to submit a new one?

Thanks in Advance!!!