+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import Car from USA to Canada- with Manufacturer Recall

su0du0tict

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
I have one open Manufacturer recall , to which the manufacturer does not have a fix/ solution .
Will the car be admissible to Canada ?

su0du0tict

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for your response, however, looks like if there is recall, it is advisable to get the recall fixed and then do the import.

I called RIV Canada, they mentioned that if there is no recall clearance letter( Open Recalls on the car), then the car can be imported but not registered.
Without registration we cannot drive.

They also mentioned that the car registration agency may provide a temporary registration until the recall is cleared, but I did not pursue that path.

In the steps that have been mentioned, in the other thread, the same is also called out.
"You also need to submit a manufacturer recall clearance letter (this can be done up to 30 days in advance). http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx "

asf56

Sep 23, 2020
Thanks for your response, however, looks like if there is recall, it is advisable to get the recall fixed and then do the import.

I called RIV Canada, they mentioned that if there is no recall clearance letter( Open Recalls on the car), then the car can be imported but not registered.
Without registration we cannot drive.

They also mentioned that the car registration agency may provide a temporary registration until the recall is cleared, but I did not pursue that path.

In the steps that have been mentioned, in the other thread, the same is also called out.
"You also need to submit a manufacturer recall clearance letter (this can be done up to 30 days in advance). http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx "
Were you able to find a solution for the issue? I am in the same boat and checking for options

prakkashv

Mar 17, 2023
I am also in the same situation

. Planning to move to Canada by June 2024 and also would like to take my car. However, I have open recall request on my Honda 2019 pilot. Moreover, As per Honda, parts will not be available until this 2024 September. Is there any possibility to move my car with open Recall? Any suggestion? Appreciate your response.

asf56

Sep 23, 2020
Hello , did you get any response
In my case, the car was already in Canada as a temporary import. I went to the nearest CBSA and got it permanently imported (new Form 1). However, the RIV hasn't been released yet due to the open recall and until then I cannot register the car here. The CBSA officer said I can show the Form 1 and explain the recall if pulled over. Are you coming to Canada on a work permit or as PR? If on a work permit, you don't have to worry about it. If PR, you can get it imported at the border but won't be able to get the registration done due to the RIV block.

prakkashv

Mar 17, 2023
In my case, the car was already in Canada as a temporary import. I went to the nearest CBSA and got it permanently imported (new Form 1). However, the RIV hasn't been released yet due to the open recall and until then I cannot register the car here. The CBSA officer said I can show the Form 1 and explain the recall if pulled over. Are you coming to Canada on a work permit or as PR? If on a work permit, you don't have to worry about it. If PR, you can get it imported at the border but won't be able to get the registration done due to the RIV block.
Since I have PR, is it possible for me to do temporary import ? Once the part available , can I replace it in canada ?

asf56

Sep 23, 2020
Since I have PR, is it possible for me to do temporary import ? Once the part available , can I replace it in canada ?
You cannot do a temporary import if you are on PR, it will be a permanent import. You can replace the part when it's available in Canada but until then you cannot get the car registered.

prakkashv

Mar 17, 2023
So can I drive my car to canada with open recall ? Will CBSA Officer allow me to enter into canada ? Please clarify . I am worried what in case if they don’t allow me.

yjqiu

Mar 29, 2024
Same situation here: plan to move to Toronto in June 2024. I have an Acura with an open recall that cannot be fixed soon (fuel pump, i guess that is the same for many people) because the parts are out of stock.

I'm moving to Toronto with a work visa, so I guess I can do a temporary import.

Anyone can help?

prakkashv

Mar 17, 2023
Same situation here: plan to move to Toronto in June 2024. I have an Acura with an open recall that cannot be fixed soon (fuel pump, i guess that is the same for many people) because the parts are out of stock.

I'm moving to Toronto with a work visa, so I guess I can do a temporary import.

Anyone can help?
No solution for this. Spoke with Honda America numerous times regarding this but they couldn’t help. Finally I called RIV and explained the situation. They said they will give extension to register the vehicle until parts become available. Also I Spoke with CBSA customer support agent and they said they will let our vehicle to import canada even if there is an open recall. So no issue at all. you can check with Ontario province licensing department to get extension until you get the parts. They can give atleast 90 days I believe. I am planning to do the same. Moving to Saskatchewan.

yjqiu

Mar 29, 2024
Acura/Honda issued the same recall statement to their Canadian markets, so I guess this problem is well-known in Canada as well. Suppose we have the extension, will we be driving with a Canadian license plate or a US license plate? How does insurance work in this case?

Also, for temporary import, do we need to get the recall clearance? Is it exempt?

yjqiu

Mar 29, 2024
1. For the temporary import, do you need to get the recall clearance?
2. While your car is still in temporary import status, could you share whether it has a Canadian license plate? How does the insurance work?
2. What is the transition from temporary import to permanent import? Do you need to go to the US side again the get the car exported from the US? Do you need a US license plate for it to work?

Many thanks!