+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import car at a later stage after moving?

kkamath12

Mar 28, 2019
We did our first landing last November and finished all formalities. Received our PR cars in January 2020. We are moving permanently to Ottawa in July 2020. I own a 2014 Honda CRV fully paid and I have the title. I am on h1b and working for a US client. Have following queries
  • As I am driving from NC with my family, can I drive my US car to Canada without importing?
  • If I decide to import, Can i import at a later stage while being inside Canada already? May be after a month or 2?
  • I will be alone heading back to US for work in August though and planning to import it during my second trip somewhere in November. Is this feasible?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
We did our first landing last November and finished all formalities. Received our PR cars in January 2020. We are moving permanently to Ottawa in July 2020. I own a 2014 Honda CRV fully paid and I have the title. I am on h1b and working for a US client. Have following queries
  • As I am driving from NC with my family, can I drive my US car to Canada without importing?
  • If I decide to import, Can i import at a later stage while being inside Canada already? May be after a month or 2?
  • I will be alone heading back to US for work in August though and planning to import it during my second trip somewhere in November. Is this feasible?
1. Yes if its only for short visits(before your permanent move).
2. Yes but you should not be using the car temporarily after your permanent move without importing it. They just want to avoid people taking car and using it for long period without importing.
3. Yes if above condition is met.

kkamath12

Mar 28, 2019
1. Yes if its only for short visits(before your permanent move).
2. Yes but you should not be using the car temporarily after your permanent move without importing it. They just want to avoid people taking car and using it for long period without importing.
3. Yes if above condition is met.
Thank you very much for your inputs. I also reached to Border Security and got the same clarified, they mentioned that during port of entry currently they are issuing temporary import form which needs to be filled and I should be good as I might end up either selling it back in the US or might import during next visit.