+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status - Study permit extension.

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
Is it possible to apply for Work permit when I am in implied status waiting for study permit extension and the company is ready to give me work?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is it possible to ok to apply for Work permit when I am in implied status waiting for study permit extension and the company is ready to give me work?
Does your employer have an approved LMIA?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

No they don't.
1. Without a LMIA (unless the job is exempt) you aren't eligible for a work permit. Since if you are applying for an extension of your SA, probably means you haven't finished your studies and aren't eligible for a PGWP yet.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It appears that you cant get a PGWP with implied status, although it is not clear from any instructions IRCC gives. They might hold your application until the extension is resolved or they might refuse it, this is based on completely anecdotal evidence. The fact that you have an employer willing to hire you does not matter at all for PGWP.

DO NOT GO TO BORDER/FLAGPOLE. I know at least one person who was refused re-entry because he was on implied status and tried to get PGWP.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
It appears that you cant get a PGWP with implied status, although it is not clear from any instructions IRCC gives. They might hold your application until the extension is resolved or they might refuse it, this is based on completely anecdotal evidence. The fact that you have an employer willing to hire you does not matter at all for PGWP.

DO NOT GO TO BORDER/FLAGPOLE. I know at least one person who was refused re-entry because he was on implied status and tried to get PGWP.
Can you elaborate? If study extension is pending, can you not flagpole? Or is it because OPs permit is expired?

Huyenthu98

Feb 5, 2017
I am in the same situation :(

I applied for study permit extension on Oct 15, 2019
My study permit expired on November 30, 2019
I graduated on Jan 13, 2020

It has been 125 days for waiting the study permit and I made the request form for my case to CIC and still waiting.

I read somewhere in this group is that we can apply the PGWP with implied status, but I still want to find the official information from CIC.

I intend to apply for my PGWP with an explanation letter.

Can I have advice from you guys?

Many thanks!

Reactions: mindbender20

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
I am in the same situation :(

I applied for study permit extension on Oct 15, 2019
My study permit expired on November 30, 2019
I graduated on Jan 13, 2020

It has been 125 days for waiting the study permit and I made the request form for my case to CIC and still waiting.

I read somewhere in this group is that we can apply the PGWP with implied status, but I still want to find the official information from CIC.

I intend to apply for my PGWP with an explanation letter.

Can I have advice from you guys?

Many thanks!
I too remember reading it somewhere in this forum however the rules gets changed pretty often.

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
Can you elaborate? If study extension is pending, can you not flagpole? Or is it because OPs permit is expired?
Even if flagpoling gives me study permit extension asap that would be helpful.
I can come over here and apply for PGWP later.
I am not allowed to work in implied status once the college gets over.

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
Even if flagpoling gives me study permit extension asap that would be helpful.
I can come over here and apply for PGWP later.
I am not allowed to work in implied status once the college gets over.
I am in same situation , MY SP extension from 24 Sept 2019 still in processing , graduated from college on 27 jan 2020 ,Applied for PGWP on implied status 05 FEB, 2020 . Then started working 20 hrs / week . I stopped working 20 hrs once I received official confirmation of study completion from college.After applying for PGWP on implied status , I wrote a letter to CPC edmonton, ( as told by IRCC agent)to explain them about this situation.They received that letter but no reply and no improvement in SP extension processing.

NAVNII

Jan 6, 2019
My SP extension application is under reveiw , that can take time upto april 2020 to finalize , so in waiting for SP extension until april 2020 , I think I think is wastage of time and money as well because I cannot work after graduation, and until that time 100 days for applying PGWP will be passed and what will left just 80 days , and in that 80 days , If I got rejection for PGWP and I will be out of 180 days for applying PGWP . NO more chance to apply for PGWP . So I applied on implied status.

mindbender20

Feb 15, 2020
And now the processing time got increased by two days.
If Flag poling is the only option I can better do that.

Last edited:

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto

This is so true. I know a guy who was issued a deportation order when he went to border for to get PGWP on implied status.

Reactions: bongoman