+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status Question

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I called Canada's support center twice and received two different responses, so I'm unsure what to believe in..
I will call a few more times to make sure, but I wanted to ask here as well.

I submitted my inland PR application as spousal sponsorship along with an OWP. This is my first time ever applying for PR and I am not renewing the OWP, since I did not have one in the past.
The CPC received my application on June 29th, but my current visitor extension will be expiring on July 12th.

My question is: will implied status regarding the OWP (because a decision is being made) be granted to me after my visitor extension expires on July 12th?
Or will I have to apply for another visitor extension, so I can get an implied status and remain legal in Canada.

One of the agents said that as long as they received it in the CPC, then I will have implied status when my current status expires.
Another one said that since it is my first time applying for the OWP and not renewing it, then I will not have implied status and will need to apply for another visitor extension.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I called Canada's support center twice and received two different responses, so I'm unsure what to believe in..
I will call a few more times to make sure, but I wanted to ask here as well.

I submitted my inland PR application as spousal sponsorship along with an OWP. This is my first time ever applying for PR and I am not renewing the OWP, since I did not have one in the past.
The CPC received my application on June 29th, but my current visitor extension will be expiring on July 12th.

My question is: will implied status regarding the OWP (because a decision is being made) be granted to me after my visitor extension expires on July 12th?
Or will I have to apply for another visitor extension, so I can get an implied status and remain legal in Canada.

One of the agents said that as long as they received it in the CPC, then I will have implied status when my current status expires.
Another one said that since it is my first time applying for the OWP and not renewing it, then I will not have implied status and will need to apply for another visitor extension.
You have implied status since you have subitted the OWP. The first agent is right. The second agent is wrong.

The one risk you run is that if the OWP/sponsorship application are returned for any reason (i.e. for being incomplete), this will put you out of status in Canada.

I would apply for another visitor extension as insurance against this.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
You have implied status since you have subitted the OWP. The first agent is right. The second agent is wrong.

The one risk you run is that if the OWP/sponsorship application are returned for any reason (i.e. for being incomplete), this will put you out of status in Canada.

I would apply for another visitor extension as insurance against this.
Okay, thank you!
I'm pretty confident that my OWP/sponsorship application won't be returned to me.

But let's say that if it does get returned to me, and I'm out of status in Canada, then won't I have a certain amount of days to leave Canada?
If so, wouldn't it be better for me to apply for another visitor extension then? Or does it not work like this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, thank you!
I'm pretty confident that my OWP/sponsorship application won't be returned to me.

But let's say that if it does get returned to me, and I'm out of status in Canada, then won't I have a certain amount of days to leave Canada?
If so, wouldn't it be better for me to apply for another visitor extension then? Or does it not work like this?
I would apply for the extension now. Just my two cents.

Returned applications are not uncommon and it's easy to make a small mistake that results in the application being flagged as incomplete.

If you fall out of status, applying for an extension is no longer possible. You would need to apply to restore your status. All of this will also significantly delay getting your OWP issued.