+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status of pgwp application when study permit expired just 5 days before applying

murthycps

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
Hi, I have a situation here. I have studied in one canadian university for Masters degree for 2.5 yrs. I extended one time before it expired for the late thesis defense. But the extended study permit was expiring sometime in January 31, 2018. But I completed my thesis defense in Jan 1st week and couldnt get letter for extending as my degree requirements are already complete. I already informed the reason to CIC in letter of explanation column. I requested the degree of completion letter before jan 30, but got only on 5 feb 2018 due to their late processing. Immediately I applied for pgwp on 6feb 2018 and 7 feb that my application got submitted. Now the processing time is 37 days. till now no news about the application. I m working part time in one company in same field as my Master's degree, meanwhile during my thesis defense finalization. they wanted to get me full time job there. Am I allowed to work since my application done or wait till my new work permit arrives. Is it illegal to work till I get pgwp?. pls let me know. I m confused.
Thanks

Reactions: r4ghu

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have a situation here. I have studied in one canadian university for Masters degree for 2.5 yrs. I extended one time before it expired for the late thesis defense. But the extended study permit was expiring sometime in January 31, 2018. But I completed my thesis defense in Jan 1st week and couldnt get letter for extending as my degree requirements are already complete. I already informed the reason to CIC in letter of explanation column. I requested the degree of completion letter before jan 30, but got only on 5 feb 2018 due to their late processing. Immediately I applied for pgwp on 6feb 2018 and 7 feb that my application got submitted. Now the processing time is 37 days. till now no news about the application. I m working part time in one company in same field as my Master's degree, meanwhile during my thesis defense finalization. they wanted to get me full time job there. Am I allowed to work since my application done or wait till my new work permit arrives. Is it illegal to work till I get pgwp?. pls let me know. I m confused.
Thanks
Hi

You are working illegally. As your study permit was expired and you had no status when you submitted the PGWP app, it will be refused.

r4ghu

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks
I am in a similar situation currently. Interested to know how it turned out in your case!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Study permit is no longer required to supply for pgwp so it is highly unlikely you are on the same situation.
You cant work if you apply for pgwp after study permit expiry and you must have another valid status such as visitor.