+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status between study permit and PGWP : Physical presence calculator - Citizenship

sahilmirg

Sep 17, 2017
Hello Guys,

I was student from April 2014 to Nov 2015 as per study permit. I applied PGWP on Sep 2015 and received the work permit on Jan 2016. I was on implied status from Sep 2015 to Jan 2016. How would I declare it in the physical presence calculator as it has no option other than visitor, student, Temporary worker, protected person.

Please help me with this confusion. Thank you

mila_sokol

Sep 15, 2017
Hello Guys,

I was student from April 2014 to Nov 2015 as per study permit. I applied PGWP on Sep 2015 and received the work permit on Jan 2016. I was on implied status from Sep 2015 to Jan 2016. How would I declare it in the physical presence calculator as it has no option other than visitor, student, Temporary worker, protected person.

Hello! I am wondering, if you received the answer. I have the same situation.

Regards,

Mila.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
The question is can you claim those days for citizenship? implied status is a kind of loophole, you can stay in Canada work or study while waiting for a new or extension or even your pr. As per physical presence you can claim any days you had a valid temporary status and was in Canada, the calculator asks the day your temporary status started( X date) and the day your temporary status ended ( Y date ) and of course you have to be physically present in Canada to even claim those days. Nothing more nothing less, the OP already noticed it there is no option after your status has expired and you are waiting for new status in my opinion because those days do not count as being present in Canada for citizenship. On top of that, I saw a similar case in the francophone forum, he used the days in implied status as being present in Canada and late during the interview those days were taken away from him by the agent and was told that he was not supposed to use them for citizenship. I may be wrong here this is just my understanding.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
60 day less from april 2014 to landing day, could have 365 days for citizenship + 730 as permanent résident.
we need to know the landing day to be sure about it.
and the person received the work permit on Jan 2016, we dont know when it was approved.

sahilmirg

Sep 17, 2017
Hello! I am wondering, if you received the answer. I have the same situation.

Regards,

Mila.

I have written the dates of my study permit, work permit and PR obtained. I have not written the days of implied status because it takes only 365 days of temporary. To aupport the implied status I wrote a support letter and include in the package I have sent and that's it. I clarified the situation. Physical presence days are already over 1095. So it wouldn't matter.

mila_sokol

Sep 15, 2017
I have written the dates of my study permit, work permit and PR obtained. I have not written the days of implied status because it takes only 365 days of temporary. To aupport the implied status I wrote a support letter and include in the package I have sent and that's it. I clarified the situation. Physical presence days are already over 1095. So it wouldn't matter.

Interesting!

My study permit expired exactly 5 years ago (July 30, 2015) and I got my work permit on December 23, 2015. So, would you suggest just putting my Temporary Worker status from December 23, 2015, without even mentioning my International Student status in the calculator?

And of course, I will write a letter of explanation.

Regards,

Mila.

Alberta30

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hello Guys,

The answer is you assume your student status while waiting for work permit, the student status expires and changed as soon as
your work permit application was approved. So yes when doing the Citizenship application you put student from the day on your study permit to the date immediately before your work permit approval date.

Reactions: mpsqra

Alberta30

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Hello Guys,

I came also as an international student so I went through all of this.