+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status between PGWP and Family sponsorship

AutumnTea

Sep 13, 2019
Hi all,

I’m currently at the end of my PGWP but I applied for an open work permit with the sponsorship application in the beginning of July. I called and confirmed that they haven’t started processing my application yet and I was told that they most likely wouldn’t open my envelope until November. Does that still count as implied status? Could I still work? Do I have to leave the country because my permit expired?

I applied for a visitor visa today as a backup. Would that allow me to at least stay in the country until my PR and OWP are processed?

Thank you so much! I’m so overwhelmed...

Baymaxboop

Oct 5, 2019
Hi all,

I’m currently at the end of my PGWP but I applied for an open work permit with the sponsorship application in the beginning of July. I called and confirmed that they haven’t started processing my application yet and I was told that they most likely wouldn’t open my envelope until November. Does that still count as implied status? Could I still work? Do I have to leave the country because my permit expired?

I applied for a visitor visa today as a backup. Would that allow me to at least stay in the country until my PR and OWP are processed?

Thank you so much! I’m so overwhelmed...
Did you ever get an answer? I'm same situation

Baymaxboop

Oct 5, 2019
My visitor visa was denied because my permit had already expired but since I had already applied for a new work permit I was under implied status. I have received my new WP :)
That’s great! The CIC Agent told me that i would be able to work just fine under implied status while I wait for my OWP (I’m currently under PGWP) I know there is a lot of conflicting info online so it’s great to see it worked out :)