+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implications of US Remote Work

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi all,

I was wondering whether the 20hr/wk limit applies to remote work for a US-based organization. According to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html, my job as an independent contractor with this particular organization is not actually considered to be "work" in Canada, however, as it is actually work, is there a 20hr limit imposed?

I ask not because I intend to work over 20 hours with this organization, but I have a few semesters where I'm required to TA as my "job" and don't want those to interfere.

Thanks!

Reactions: costeltin

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Assuming you are paid outside of Canada (i.e. not to your Canadian bank account), and there is no entry to the Canadian labour market or competition with Canadians, you're free to freelance remotely.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Assuming you are paid outside of Canada (i.e. not to your Canadian bank account), and there is no entry to the Canadian labour market or competition with Canadians, you're free to freelance remotely.
hi, thank you. Yes, my question is whether it counts toward my 20hr/wk limit or not?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, because you're not working. Of course, the idea is for you to be a full-time student so make sure you devote your attention primarily to passing your classes.

Reactions: resilientflora

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
No, because you're not working. Of course, the idea is for you to be a full-time student so make sure you devote your attention primarily to passing your classes.
wonderful, thank you! yes, I’m sure it won’t be a problem. appreciate the information!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't agree. If you are working and depositing money into an offshore account that is tax avoidance. If you are working while in Canada on a study you should be declaring your income. Are you a US citizen or have a US work permit?

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Don't agree. If you are working and depositing money into an offshore account that is tax avoidance. If you are working while in Canada on a study you should be declaring your income.
Did you have a chance to read the link I originally shared? Unless I’m misunderstanding what it says, I think I’m legally allowed to work as an independent contractor for a U.S. org (who is only serving US “customers” - it’s actually a nonprofit org that hosts events and grants funds to US based artists in need) in Canada without it even being considered “work.”

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Don't agree. If you are working and depositing money into an offshore account that is tax avoidance. If you are working while in Canada on a study you should be declaring your income. Are you a US citizen or have a US work permit?
here’s the text from the Canada.ca link:

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

- long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
here’s the text from the Canada.ca link:

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

- long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada
If you are so confident, why even ask the question?
Go ahead & do what you want, sounds like that’s the plan anyway

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
If you are so confident, why even ask the question?
Go ahead & do what you want, sounds like that’s the plan anyway
Hi there, I don’t think you are understanding my original question. I’m not asking whether I am allowed to do this work or if it is work, I see directly on the site that it isn’t. I’m asking about the 20 hour work limit, and whether it applies there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, I don’t think you are understanding my original question. I’m not asking whether I am allowed to do this work or if it is work, I see directly on the site that it isn’t. I’m asking about the 20 hour work limit, and whether it applies there.
20 hour limit does not apply provided the work you're doing involves no Canadian customers / clients. If your company has Canadian customers / clients, it's a bit more murky. Hope that helps.

Reactions: resilientflora