+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immingration question for disabled person

gpatrick900

Jan 3, 2011
Is Canada the best country to Immigrate to if you have a mild mental disability? I personally feel the U.S. doesn't provided disabled people with enough help. In the future, I may want to leave the U.S. to a country that will help disabled immigrants. I would even consider getting citizenship in that country. This will be many years away.

However, I would also consider permanent residency to live there if it would be cheaper than the U.S.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont know how much of help this link could be but people are still lobbying for discrimination based on disability in Canada. You might be able to get some information here.

http://www.ccdonline.ca/en/socialpolicy/access-inclusion/hawking

gpatrick900

Jan 3, 2011
newtone said:
I dont know how much of help this link could be but people are still lobbying for discrimination based on disability in Canada. You might be able to get some information here.
Thank you.

I think the government got it backwards to see if I am correct, I will PM you.

Can I still visit Canada with a disability? Two things I always wanted to see. The underground city & Niagara falls on the Canadian side.

I read that article. Doesn't that violate international law?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gpatrick900 said:
Can I still visit Canada with a disability? Two things I always wanted to see. The underground city & Niagara falls on the Canadian side.
Are you talking about Montreal's underground city, or Toronto's? Just having been in parts of the Toronto PATH, there are definitely large sections of it that aren't barrier-free. Most likely this is because some of the buildings are old enough that the accessibility requirements don't apply to them. There is a long walkway along the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. As far as I remember, it's wheelchair-compatible.

gpatrick900 said:
I read that article. Doesn't that violate international law?
International law doesn't apply to that situation...

gpatrick900

Jan 3, 2011
YorkFactory
I am not in a wheelchair. I was talking about Montreal underground city.

If you have a library and can find the book "pick me up" there is some information on the UN Articles. Unfortunately, I think some countries still violate them including the U.S. I think there is no teeth with the law or it require a UN action to do something. I don't have the book, I returned it to the library. I was kind of surprised at reading some of the articles. We interpreted one of the articles to mean there should be no poverty or homelessness anywhere. We also interpreted another article to mean the governments should provided a decent living for everyone. Like I said above there is no teeth with the law or it was requires a UN action to do something.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
United Nations resolutions are not law unless there are treaties to back them up.

edit: And I don't see why they would deny you entry, especially if you have concrete plans for your entire trip to Canada. Border guards can be capricious sometimes, though.

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022
hi,
i want to know if anyone knows how the citizenship application works for a person(18+) who is completely dependent on a caregiver(parent), due to medical/mental disability.
i tried to look for a special application form but didn't find anything useful except this policy.
Since the dependent form is for children under 18 i am not sure i can use that.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi,
i want to know if anyone knows how the citizenship application works for a person(18+) who is completely dependent on a caregiver(parent), due to medical/mental disability.
i tried to look for a special application form but didn't find anything useful except this policy.
Since the dependent form is for children under 18 i am not sure i can use that.
You'd be better to ask in the citizenship forum. As far as I'm aware the policy you linked to is the relevant one.